Author Topic: Pay and Play  (Read 3061 times)

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
Pay and Play
« on: April 23, 2012, 10:09:19 PM »
We are in the unfortunate position of not having a real base at the moment, though we intend to in the near future. For the moment, does anyone know of clubs that are happy to accept visiting boats as a one off/for a fee? I know that Weston, Chew and Stokes Bay run a sort of pay and play as long as its a one off and you are a guest of an existing member. Anyone know of any others?

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Pay and Play
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:26:39 PM »

Yes Queen Mary

Day Membership
It is possible to sail at the Club even if you are not a full member. Day Membership is available whenever the Club is open.

Day Sailing Costs
Monday to Friday £12

Weekends and Bank Holidays £16

After 5pm £6

PiersHS

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:13:05 AM »
I have a number of guest spaces left for Farmoor.

Offline TSC

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »
Banshee,

You can come and play with Paul, Roland & Phil at Thornbury if you are over this way.

Club rules allow 6 sails as a guest with no payment.

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:11:12 AM »
I am in a similar situation to Banshee, though I have a club to sail from. The problem is, that my club is totally unsuitable for launching and recovering fully battened boats in anything other than a due east or due west wind. See attached image for what I mean. I might have to invent a swivelling trolley!
Is anyone in the Solent area intending on going sailing this weekend (most likely Sunday afternoon if windguru is to be believed) who is willing to let us come and sail with them at their club?

I intend to join Netley in the summer, but feel there is no point in joining before the 30th June for the 2 or 3 sails I'll get before the membership fee is halved.
2688- Atum Bom

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 12:53:55 PM »
instead of a swivelling trolley, point the bow where you want to go, and get sam to trapeze ;) it works well with cheese, the guy carrying the trolley just needs to run, preferably without falling over and dying :)
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 04:26:25 PM »
I think I've hit that concrete at full speed with the kite up and crew on the wire.  Is it somewhere down one of the channels in Chichester?  Made a fair mess of the trailing edge of the board.

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 04:33:46 PM »
It is indeed. You should see my Laser 2 centerboard. It looks like a saw. Hence my reluctance to sail in Atum from here
2688- Atum Bom

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »
We should be down at Netley on Sunday. Not sure what time the tide / racing is on but it looks like it should be sunny with not too much wind.

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »
It would be great if we could join you.
2688- Atum Bom

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 09:35:13 AM »
Sun, wind and Cherub sailing... what Sundays were designed for!

We finally got Numb down to the sailing club after an extended winter looking forward to the nice 12-15knot south westerly as forecast and were joined by Ben and Sam with Atum. No one told the wind about the agreed plan and so we ended up with a gusty 18-25 which was a bit more feisty but still thoroughly enjoyable (well, Kate tells me she enjoyed it after the initial 15 or so minutes of papping herself as the performance is a bit of a step up from 2303!)

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 10:34:51 AM »
Thanks Tim and Kate,
We had a great afternoon. The sailing was a bit beyond us but we still had a lot of fun. The t-foil was always a bit positive (even when let all the way off) which meant we couldn't get the bow out going downwind and hence I struggled to get out on the wire. The new repaired sails are (as was to be expected) a slightly different shape at the foot but if Sam had managed to put the cunno through the correct eye on the main we might have been able to iron out a few more of the creases (no pun intended).

It was encouraging to see that the guy in the moth couldn't even get off the shore.
2688- Atum Bom

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 10:49:06 AM »
Glad you all had a good time!

If the T foil is not going negative when right off, something is wrong. With Atum's set up, you can sail with the rope completely slack and the t foil will keep itself down like an underwater kite. It'll flot up when you stop though.

I am impressed you managed to do any sailing in breeze with the cunningham malfunctioning. It transforms the whole experience.

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 10:57:20 AM »
Thanks Will,
The T-foil was almost slack, It was so gusty (and shifty) that I couldn't let go of either the tiller or the main sheet to reach for the t-foil to let it off any more. I have lengthened the rope and put a figure of eight in it so when it's slack it's neutral. There is still plenty of adjustment to positive so hopefully all happy there.
2688- Atum Bom

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 12:04:45 PM »
I remember sailing at Carsington with Hoppy in big breeze where we sailed a high speed run with the t-foil uncleated completely... It was quite an unsual experience and the bow was very wayward!

As Will says, it took us probably 2 seasons of sailing the Badger to finally work out how much kicker and cunningham was 'enough', and to reach that amount you pull on as much as you can, then pull on a bit more, and then squat on the rack and wrap it round your hands and give it everything to pull on a bit more. You will be worried about pulling on enough, but to be honest the boat transforms and you can go so much faster upwind and in a lot more control as the boat drives forward in the gusts rather than trying to push you over.