Author Topic: Making a start  (Read 14686 times)

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Making a start
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 01:08:25 PM »
I am glad you are smiling after what sounded like a bit of a battering, with some good bits!

If you can, take the bit of laser boom out of the rack. Carbon+alu+saltwater = electrofizzy badness.

See you at the inlands (if we get there)

Will

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 01:38:23 PM »
I am in the process of working out which club to move to as the current one is really not suitable from either a launching or a rigging point of view.  There are plenty around and the combo of summer at Netley and winter at QMSC sounds like it might be the best bet at the moment.  I was thinking of trying out Netley this Saturday coming up as I won't have the support of my parents in their boat if things go badly.

I knew that stainless is bad next to carbon but it didn't even twig that aluminium was the same.  I'll get on the carbon fix right away then.  It will hold up without the aluminium bit but considering the spinnaker sheet pulls from there I am anxious to get it strong again.  I am a complete novice but my initial idea was to make a tube of carbon/epoxy and while wet, put it in the inside of the rack and then inflate a bike tyre inside it with some parcel tape wrapped around.  Any thoughts? Also how is the aluminium/carbon combo in fresh water?

I have no idea how you deal with more than 1 day of cherub sailing in a row.  I was absolutely broken after that.  Still pretty sore today if truth be told, but as you say. . . smiling.
2688- Atum Bom

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 03:56:42 PM »
Thanks for making us smile!
We hope to see you soon

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 08:19:44 PM »
Sounds like you are having fun already, keep the sailing and the stories coming.

Aluminium tube inside a carbon one is a bad idea, there are loads of broken RS600 and RS800 masts about because they had an ali tube inside which corroded and expanded. Fresh water will not make any difference to the outcome, just make it a little slower.

For the repair I think your plan will be a bit difficult to get right, I have never had much luck with using a bladder.

I would make up a short section of tubing. you want it to have a slightly larger OD than the wing bar's ID. If the laser boom is a tight fit in the current tube, then it would probably an ideal mandrel cover it in melted candle wax so you can get it off.

Once you have the repair tube cut it length ways, and then depending on the size difference either cut a strip out, or sand the slot larger. You want a C section that will close to an O when you push it inside the tube you are repairing.

Once you have everything ready dry fit a few times, then coat the outside of the repair tube in resin and push it in. Job done
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »
Cheers Phil, I'll give that a go
2688- Atum Bom

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 10:18:54 PM »
 I did warn you that Cherub sailing is highly addictive and once experienced there is no going back,  Glad you are enjoying it so much! Regarding the wing bar, I hadn't noticed any significant damage but I do have a large selection of carbon tube off cuts that may be suitable for an internal sleeve, let me know the internal diameter and I will have a look.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:36:39 PM by paul_croote »

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 10:56:49 PM »
Pretty sure it's 2" but I don't have it to hand, either that or 50mm.  I'll get it measured and get back to you.
Thanks
2688- Atum Bom

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 12:47:33 PM »
I would reccomend Phil A's repair.  it's probably worth sanding the inside of the rack a little to provide a good key to the sleave. You don't need a thick sleave either because you are reinforcing the existing tube. In fact a thick sleave may add a stress concentration where it ends. if the rack tube is splintered near the end I would also be worth wrapping a couple of carbon strands covered in resin around the outside.  These will knit everything together nicely.

SamThorney

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 06:38:34 PM »
Hi Guys

Ben's brother here, following him in to the excitments and dangers fo Cherub sailing!
I will be at the Inlands so will hopfully get to meet some of you there and get some much needed tips.
I keep looking forward to the weekends when I can sail it agian!

Sam

Offline Hayley_Trim

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »
Hi Sam
Good to hear you are still keen despite the bruises. Look forward to meeting you at the inlands.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
Harnesses: We now have P+B nappy harnesses, and Beth has one of these as well. Hers needs to be let out from time to time cos she is 14 and still growing. Do Zhik still do the one which is adjustable with big areas of velcro? The type covered in buckles I would not recommend because they get caught on everything and cause capsizes and reduced funnage.

Can you send a pic of the crack in the wingbar please?

Sorry for being disorganised everyone (can only get to forum in short bursts when baby is asleep and I am awake): Is there a late season blast planned?

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 10:30:47 PM »
Hi Ben

Can you copy me in with the photo, cheers

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 10:51:11 PM »
The Gill harnesses are the nappy type with a bit of adjustment.  All of the buckles are covered though so it should be fine.

I'll see if Sam can take a photo of the rack and post it.
2688- Atum Bom

roland_trim

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 08:51:08 AM »
I have a Gill and am happy with it as it is very comfy and has adjusted from me at  95kg down to 80kg. It also fits with the dry suit and 20 layers of thermals on.

I do wear a knackered shorty over everything, which avoids catching issues Will talked about. However, this is more to allow me to pee without taking my suit off - my under suits have slits in which would make them indecent without it.

Please no replies about the other relief option.

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 09:13:48 AM »
Nice :)
How do I go about joining the class association? when I click on the online payment bit it takes me to paying for the 2006-7 season.  Has this been updated somewhere or do I just go with it?

2688- Atum Bom