Author Topic: Holdfast  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Holdfast
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:32:59 PM »
This is a video which absolutely everyone should see.

http://boingboing.net/2010/11/05/hold-fast-a-document.html

(Some impecunious anarchists blag their way to sailing offshore - It is liquid gold)

An anarchist friend got the DVD for me from the Anarchist Book Fair a couple of years ago, but now it is on the internet!

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
Re: Holdfast
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:06:42 PM »
That's tonight entertainment sorted!
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:03 PM »
copy that. sounds intreguing.

Can't be too much worse than a group of civil servants getting involved in offshore racing.

Last week I took part in the annual Civil service regatta which uses the sun sail boats from port Solent.

One other boat gybed round the Nab tower.  It was close enough that it went into the lee of the tower and broached hitting the tower head on at about 4-5 knots.

Damage deposit lost. 

To re-assure others the bat I was on didn't break anything appart from a bowl and a glass which fell out of the cupboard when the catch sprung open. (design defect on the boats.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »
Ooops! Lucy and I did the forts race from Stokes a few years ago in Norwegian Blue. Those forts are very nasty up close.

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 04:46:38 PM »
Phil, was that IDOR? I was supposed to be there but couldn't get the leave.

Offline Ben Howett

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 08:49:36 PM »

To re-assure others the bat I was on didn't break anything appart from a bowl and a glass which fell out of the cupboard when the catch sprung open. (design defect on the boats.

One bowl and a glass sounds like you got off lightly compared to others when we sailed them in march. A LOT of crockery lost that week...

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:51:37 AM »

Is this a new sport of bat riding?  I'm not suprised the other bat hit the Nab as presumably you can only ride them in the dark?  Perhaps their innate radar was broken.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 01:26:02 PM »

One bowl and a glass sounds like you got off lightly compared to others when we sailed them in march. A LOT of crockery lost that week...

I wonder if this is a feature rather than a bug in the boat design. Every week a £20 of crockery gets broken and every week people loose £40 from their damage deposits?
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 01:47:47 PM »
Audacious and devious! Readily believable only the level of skill required to pull of such a feat I think makes it implausible. However I do understand the urge to fix such a problem might be minimal because of the situation you mention!