Author Topic: thinking of joining the fun!  (Read 3814 times)

popeye

thinking of joining the fun!
« on: May 17, 2011, 06:17:25 PM »
Hi all

Iam thinking of getting back into sailing after having a break for a couple of seasons.  Am toying with the idea of getting a decent cherub.
I have mainly been in the RS fleet having  a 400,600,700 and 800! o and a Int Moth to mix it up a bit.

I sail in the south east on the sea.  What designs make the best sea boats and what is the ideal combined crew weight.

What sort of money will buy me a competitive boat?

Cheers popeye

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: thinking of joining the fun!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:24:59 PM »
Hi Popeye, and welcome to the cherub forums.

I am sure others will follow me with much advice, but to answer your specific questions the most recent designs (the 2005 rules boats) dont really fit into a sea/non sea category, arguably some might be marginally better than others but its pretty negligable.

I dont think I'm giving too much away when I say the current national champions boat traded for around the 6k mark, the boat in 2nd place is currenlty on the for sale pages for around 4k and as little as 2k will get you a perfectly sound planing machine. All the boats currently for sale offer tremendous value for money and the choice of which one depends as much on your budget, ability and aspirations as much as where you sail and the conditions.

IdeaI weight hovers around the 20-24stone mark (sorry too old for KG) although we have crews outside that perfectly capable, I suspect your ability wont be an issue with your previous (I have to say that as I have had 4 out of 5 of them !)

I sail in the south east too, be interested to know your local club and help you out a little more, if you want to contact me directly my details are on the contacts page..... cheers, Graham

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:39:43 PM »
Hi Popeye,
Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum, Where abouts in the south east do you sail? I sail a Cherub at Whitstable you would be welcome to come and see what it's all about.
My helm and I are on the light side at around 120kg however crews have been competitive weighing loads more than us.
As for a competetive boat, at the moment you are spoiled for choice.
Atum Bomb is for sail and is a multi nationals winner for £3,900
Also Banshee Ambulance is available, I believe the curent owner would be open to a sensible offer.
Have a look at the for sale section of this site for full details.
As for a good sea boat the modern narrow designs are all good in waves, as the hull cuts through the waves rather than being slowed down.
This stops the rig overpowering the hull and the resulting nosedives/superman impressions from the crew.

Simon

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
That last post should read let me be the second to welcome you to the forum as Graham was on the same wavelength.

jwlbrace

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 10:26:49 PM »
Popeye- I've got a boat for sale- Banshee Ambulance, see  classifieds.

I'm keen to move on as quickly as possible, therefore willing to look at around the £4k markm maybe less for a quick sale!

contact me if you're interested, it will make a really great introduction back to sailing as it offers multiple modes of sailing- double hikers on big wings (mini B14), single trap or double trap on the racks- 800 style.

Lots of brand new sails and combi etc... check it out.

Jimbo

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 10:23:58 AM »
Welcome!

Atum Bom was second at last years nationals, and was going best when there was wind. If there had been 2 windy and 2 light days instead of 1 windy and 3 light days Atum may have won. A bargain like that will not be around for long.