Author Topic: main/jib sheet preferences.  (Read 19547 times)

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
main/jib sheet preferences.
« on: March 28, 2008, 09:32:55 AM »
We curently have a chuncky 10mm main sheet tied to a 5mm self tacker jib sheet .

To upgrade the main rachet block and avoid having anything to heavy/ expensive we would need to reduce the diameter to a max of 8mm.  I would also like to make the main/ jib sheet one rope as the modern boats do and reduce the length of rope that we need.

There appear to be several options available which can be tapered. 

What types and diameters of rope do people recommend. how long does it need to be?

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: main/jib sheet preferences.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 03:34:43 PM »
Hi Phil,

I currently have an 8mm tapered sheet for my main and jib. I have got a lot of the new Marlow Excel Fusion on my Kestrel which is the funky looking stuff. It seems really good stuff as it doesn't twist or absorb water, and the outer and inner are both dyneema so you don't get any real creap.

I can make you one up if you like, I'll charge you for the rope but you can pay me for the splicing in a beer at the next event if you want. Just let me know how long you want it. As an idea of length, my taper sits at about the mast when the jib is in hard, and the cleat is just behind the daggerboard case. Depends how the rest of the bridle etc is rigged how you have the rest of it.

If I re-rig mine I will go for a cheeky 2:1 inside the boom and then lead it out to a split tail bridle at the transom!

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 03:46:31 PM »
cheers Tim,

The Marston fusion does look like funky stuff.

I was wondering if some people use the rooster rope or the holt pro sheet.

I think some rope shopping beckons now.

Offline smight at bbsc

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 08:06:16 PM »
I would keep the jib sheet you have and splice into a new mainsheet. Although it would be easier when rigging to have the jib sheet just tied, with some slack, to the mainsheet. For mainsheet i would recommend 7mm, as I have always found 6mm to thin and 8mm a bit thick.

Offline Ben Howett

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 01:53:44 AM »
I made up a new main and jib sheet last month: 3mm D12 at the jib end, spliced into 6mm doublebraid dyneema in the middle, then back down to a 3mm D12 split tail.

Theres now no real purchase in the system but with some grunty use of the kicker the sheet loads seem ok and the split bridle works a treat. (bearing in mind I have a relatively small main with quite a short boom)

Its only been out for one test sail so far but seemed to do the trick nicely in moderate twin wiring conditions with a small girly crew.

roland_trim

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 09:27:12 AM »
Its only been out for one test sail so far but seemed to do the trick nicely in moderate twin wiring conditions with a small girly crew.

The best kind of crew. Keep up the good work.

Offline smight at bbsc

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 10:35:34 AM »
I've got to get me one of those my crew is big, ridiculously hairy and certainly not a woman.

roland_trim

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 11:29:28 AM »
I've got to get me one of those my crew is big, ridiculously hairy and certainly not a woman.

He has also gone through TWO of my mains and a jib AND still stands on the mast when the boat goes over instead of getting wet.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:31:14 AM by Born Slippy »

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 01:00:26 PM »
Girly crews are much better.  Usually they are easier to see past to tell where you are going.  The one issue is girly crews with long hair (not tied back).  A mouth full of Brunett locks do not help concentration.

Had a girly crew this Sunday for an enterprise open.  She did very well despite the evil squalls, snow and cold.

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 05:58:06 PM »
I only think you guys are saying these girly crews are a good thing because you would get a good slap if you didn't!
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

roland_trim

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 11:57:21 AM »
It is cold this weekend and we are both camping (although you are welcome to sleep in the Polo if you wanted).

Guess who will be warmer - me cuddling my crew or you trying not to by accident!

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 08:45:59 PM »
What happens on tour... stays on tour! That's what I heard anyway?!  :o

Offline smight at bbsc

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 09:59:53 PM »

He has also gone through TWO of my mains and a jib AND still stands on the mast when the boat goes over instead of getting wet.

It's alright I'm heading down to the coast, solo, avec mon 600. I took your advice and found a bigger stretch of water with some speed bumps and the such like. Going to check it out to see what it's like but i've only heard good things so far.