Linked Events

• Try a Cherub Weekend: March 20, 2010 - March 21, 2010

Author Topic: Post Dinghy Show demo sails and blast  (Read 32172 times)

roland_trim

Re: Post Dinghy Show demo sails and blast
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2010, 12:21:45 PM »
A good weekend. Several new people came and got wet (one very). It was great to meet up with everyone.

Many thanks for Tom K. for putting his body on the line and taking a guest for a sail in EJ. Watching from the shore/rescue boat was entertaining and confirms our boat is actually very solidly built. Seeing a 6ft2 built 18ft skiffer bouncing on your board is strangely scary. Sadly the fatties did eventually wear through the trap line lashings at mast head and arrived back at shore a bit wet. Hopefully by next year the boat will not be a cat's cradle...

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2010, 01:02:37 PM »
A very enjoyable weekend. It was good to get out on the water sail some different boats, sail with some different people and meet some new members to the class.  I hope we get as many boats to the next event.

I am glad I can fit between the racks and the hull of the Elway 5 because it makes it a lot easier to get back in after a capsize.

I need to practice twin wiring down wind and work out where to put my feet through the manoeuvres on the modern boats.  Slippery felt much easier to sail than the newer boats.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2010, 01:27:13 PM »
I had an EXCELLENT weekend. Firstly the big news is that 2303 floats and sails, managed a good run with the kite up and on the trapeze but some tweaking needs to be done before we perfect those wire to wire gybes! Discovered that the wooden parts aren't as solid as I originally thought, but overall am very happy! Kate, my girlfriend, experienced her first proper sailing (apart from 30mins on a Dart in Portugal) and is thoroughly hooked.

Was nice to sail Loco and get my first twin wire action since the nationals, looking forward to Weston in a couple of weeks now.

Thanks to everyone for making the effort of bringing their boats and making this weekend work. I think we had some happy 'customers' as well as happy cherubbers so all in all great news.

As Phil says, let's try and get at least as many boats as that to the rest of the events this season.

premi

« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2010, 09:36:42 PM »
Really had a good day on Saturday! Good to see the many different boats and meet all the people. . . cherubists proved be as good at sailing as they're at chatting and eating! Excellent (well behaved) sailing in Slippery and lots of swimming in Atum Bom. . . and it was probably no more than 8 knots. . . Special thanks to Phil who was brave enough to go out sailing/swimming with me twice and to James who gave me the lift from London and made everything so convenient for me.

Next steps will be to do a bit more crewing in Portsmouth to get acquainted with the area and the clubs and, if everything goes well, to have a chat with the boss (my wife. . ) to get authorization to buy a boat!

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2010, 09:43:56 PM »
i must thank will for the blast i had in antidote, i throughly enjoy the new breed of rocket ships. Digby thanks roland aswell for his go in exultant. the E5s seem to go upwind as quick as cheese goes downwind!

p.s. for those that saw the little argument me and digs had on the sunday, its all sorted now so alls good :)
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

diggers

« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2010, 10:36:55 AM »
hay this is digby just wanted to say meny thanks to all on the weekend had a ausom time ;D

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2010, 11:29:10 AM »
Good to see you on the forum Diggers, glad you had a good weekend!

roland_trim

« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2010, 11:32:36 AM »
hay this is digby just wanted to say meny thanks to all on the weekend had a ausom time ;D
Hope your nose is better? Strangely bouyant CB in the face is a fairly unpleasant experience...

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2010, 03:08:15 PM »
yes, what actually happened with that, iv heard a little bit about it but ?
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »
Premi
if you can make it to Weston Sailing club over easter several boats will be down there.  I'm sure with a bit of fore warning you and your lady can have a little blast if you want to.