Author Topic: re old booms, rudder etc  (Read 7179 times)

hunterspindrift

re old booms, rudder etc
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »
Hi, I wonder if any guys could help me , I am looking for a rudder and stock, boom and other bits
Martin

roland_trim

Re: re old booms, rudder etc
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 06:06:06 PM »
Have you just purchased an old boat off Ebay?

Either way - welcome. Photos of the back of the boat will helpus to work out what might fit? I should have an old Rondar stock that could accept a new blade - need to wait a few weeks to get it out from under the other stuff.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 09:45:11 AM »
Hi, I wonder if any guys could help me , I am looking for a rudder and stock, boom and other bits
The traditional budget boom back in the day was a Laser boom that had snapped at the kicker fitting. Saw it off smooth, stuff a bit of hardwood in the end with a hole drilled in for the gooseneck fitting, and rivet three fairleads *on the top* to locate lashings for kicker and mainsheet. The kicker especially needs to be a lashing or webbing. Probably not strong enough for a modern big roach sail with the extra loads, but fine for the pre 84 rigs. I used one on Queenie for about twenty years, although she's now got a cut down Fireball boom.

This isn't Martin Hunter as in Spindrift is it? If so you're probably pretty local to me and doubtless I can lend a hand and perhaps some bits to copy... Queenie's rudder stock is a ply construction that's strong enough and easy enough to build for instance so you take a look at that as a pattern.

[later]
Said converted Laser boom is still sitting on the garage rafters along with an ex Halo alloy bowsprit, the battered *centreboard* from my first Cherub, which was probably a McCutcheon mk2, a ridiculously oversized and nasty daggerrudder and stock I made for recreational sailing and a rudder blade of a Harrier! You can have the boom, (obviously its loosefooted) you won't want the rudder...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:04:39 PM by JimC »

roland_trim

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:32:57 AM »
Good question Jim - how long is the boom you are lookign for?
We may be able to help along Jims lines above as well (or even with a spare bit of Carbon).