Author Topic: HI  (Read 30572 times)

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: HI
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 12:31:52 PM »
Tye,

What do you think is more modified on Sweet Dreams than on Kipper?

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 12:34:40 PM »
The buoyancy tanks in the DOG design are beneath the false floor and extend front to back split into three seperate tanks as per the current rules. Some where built originally with side tanks as well but this makes the boat float very high in the water when capsized (bit like a 420).  Having owned sister boat Slippery When Wet and having sailed against the kipper I would say that she is a good boat for the price.  the dog design makes a good starter Cherub and is a bit easier to sail but still no slouch off wind. Slippery would easily hit 16 knots off wind with the smaller 97 rules rig in a force 4.  That was with a crew new to cherubs in the front. A lot of grin factor!

A new set of sails will cost around £1400 but Hydes may still be doing sails at £700 which is very good value.  A new C-tech mast will set you back about £1000 depending on the exchange rate and import tax.

Viper6994

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 12:40:48 PM »
From looking at the pictures, Sweet dreams has extended wings on the side and a better, more forward jib point. 
My appologies I had assumed the kipper had no underfloor tank as it looks as if it just one layer and I could not see any point of entry like a bung or hatch?
Am I right in saying I could pick up a 2nd hand 800 or 600 mast that would do the job? like wise with the sails?

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 12:52:28 PM »
Kipper has a full height carbon mast and a snout. If you really wanted max 05' rules all you would need would be a suit of sails. Phil will be able to answer all your questions.

Viper6994

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 12:58:42 PM »
Does anyone have an email adress for him please?

Tye

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 01:07:56 PM »
As they say in car ads the list of options on the Kipper is too long to include, I have two boats and a whole load of sails, and other equipment, and can sell the kipper boat with quite a lot of different stuff depending on what you want.

It would be best to talk I know you are having phone problems but do you use skype?

I have emailed you seperatly

Phil
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Viper6994

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 02:48:49 PM »
Hi, yes I do would be a good idea.  I wont be able to talk yet im currently in the libary revising. . .  I see if my skype still works and re post my add

Cheers tye

roland_trim

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 06:09:19 PM »
97 rules is serious grin territory to start with.

05'ing from there is possible. There will almost certianly be a slot at a sticky weekend to build a mast. Maf may even comply and post a shot of the latest ME-Tech to come off the production line???

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »
To translate the last post.  Roland has made his own masts for the last year. I think he has made two to date 1 for each of his boats. He is keen to try some more to add new ideas. Material costs are about £250.

His masts use the same dimensions as the C-Tech which he has christened the Me-Tech.

I wouldn't worry about not having full 05 rules sail area. Being at the lighter end of the weight range we opted for less area than rules allow on our new boat and it certainly shifts.

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 10:29:15 PM »
When is the next sticky weekend?

I wouldn't worry about not having full 05 rules sail area. Being at the lighter end of the weight range we opted for less area than rules allow on our new boat and it certainly shifts.

Phil, How much sail is E-Numbers carrying?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:31:01 PM by Gordon Tracy »

Viper6994

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 11:57:37 PM »
Currently we are weighing in at 147kg so feeling we are deff more suited to 05 rules, the 505 was a little overpowered for us in more than a force 4. . .
kind of worried going under the max 05 speck will let us down, not sure however. . .
How transferable are rigs between boats?

Offline Stuart Hopson

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 08:43:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure phil's sails are around 14.5m^2. I made them pretty much the same size as the ones on atum bom. I'm not so sure there is much point in going all the way to max size. I never felt under powered even when weighing in at 160kg. The only space on most the rigs to make the 'white' sail area big enough is at the head and up the leech. The head on atum bom was just over 1m wide from memory, i'm not so convinced that the extra area in the leech wouldn't be draggy.

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 05:31:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure phil's sails are around 14.5m^2. I made them pretty much the same size as the ones on atum bom. I'm not so sure there is much point in going all the way to max size. I never felt under powered even when weighing in at 160kg. The only space on most the rigs to make the 'white' sail area big enough is at the head and up the leech. The head on atum bom was just over 1m wide from memory, i'm not so convinced that the extra area in the leech wouldn't be draggy.

I've always liked the idea of a total sail area. What you don't put on the White you stick on the coloured.

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 07:38:44 PM »
+1, but it would probablyu make the fleet slightly more split up, with '97 rules white sails on some boats and absaloutely mahusive (yes i intend to spell it that way) spinnakers, would probably change the class, and possibly not for the better.

"all opinions i express are my own and probably total trash"
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 08:54:02 PM »
+1, but it would probablyu make the fleet slightly more split up, with '97 rules white sails on some boats and absaloutely mahusive (yes i intend to spell it that way) spinnakers, would probably change the class, and possibly not for the better.

"all opinions i express are my own and probably total trash"

I don't know if it would split the class more than it is. In reality it would help make the older boats more competitive. The argument against has always been about measurement issues and biasing toward lightweights.