Author Topic: First Cherub in Spain  (Read 21599 times)

yorx

First Cherub in Spain
« on: March 13, 2010, 08:31:48 PM »
Hi my name is George, first of all sorry for my english, i want to introduce my boat and me,

the boat it´s the old Taking Liberty, 2643 and now she dosent have a new name, i want to know the name of the good sailmaker (important good price) because i want to change the sails to 2005 rules.

A lot of thanks

George

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: First Cherub in Spain
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:40:13 PM »
Hi George,

Thank you for keeping in touch.

Is Taking Liberties in Spain yet?

The cheapest sails are probably Hyde Sails.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 11:04:36 PM »
The cheapest sails are probably Hyde Sails.
It probably depends a lot on International Currency rates... Fyfe in New Zealand are very good indeed and I've heard the Kiwi dollar is very low at the moment.

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 07:50:31 PM »
But Hyde aren't making any unless they are the same as Ronin's?

I've just had a very nice set made by Grant Piggott. (http://www.gpsails.com/GP_Sails_Home.html) GP sails, good price, amazing service, great sails. And he taught most of the Hyde people I have spoken to recently how to make sails. So I suppose that speaks for it's self.

Or if you can get a response out of Ken Fyfe ( I never did ) NZ is a good way to go.

yorx

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:27:01 PM »
Thanks, tomorrow i will send an email to gpsails.

How much is a good price for a Main, Jib and Kite? In hyde is 600,400,600

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 08:08:48 AM »
GP sails:
Main: £575.
Jib: £210.
I didn't need a kite from them so can't comment.

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 02:46:10 PM »
We had a kite from Grant but can't remember the price, I think it was similar to the main.

yorx

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 04:02:14 PM »
What is the difference between the cherub and cherub GT 60? Because the Hyde Sails are for the Cherub GT 60.

Anybody have  a desing to do the sails in my house? With salismaker friend help.

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 04:17:14 PM »
The GT60 is a cherub but all cherubs are different to some degree.  We have 2 suits of Hyde sails bought last year.  Hyde will make you the sails to the measurements you give them (based on their design for the GT60). If you give them a call they will talk you through it and e-mail you a diagram and measurement instructions.  Ideally you already have your boat and rig but it isn't absolutely necessary.  Our first set were made by simply measuring our mast and boom, plus the dimensions from a similar hull as our boat wasn't finished.  Amazingly they fitted but the luff curve isn't quite right.  The second set we were able to measure as Hyde requested with the rig tension on etc. 

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 06:39:14 PM »
The GT60 is a cherub but all cherubs are different to some degree.  We have 2 suits of Hyde sails bought last year.  Hyde will make you the sails to the measurements you give them (based on their design for the GT60). If you give them a call they will talk you through it and e-mail you a diagram and measurement instructions.  Ideally you already have your boat and rig but it isn't absolutely necessary.  Our first set were made by simply measuring our mast and boom, plus the dimensions from a similar hull as our boat wasn't finished.  Amazingly they fitted but the luff curve isn't quite right.  The second set we were able to measure as Hyde requested with the rig tension on etc. 
I am impressed you have managed to get two sets of sails from Hyde, It took me 8 months from full payment to get a jib from them, and when I got it it did not fit as they had not followed the measurements I supplied.
They did replace it but I do not like the shape of the replacement, I just can't get it to set properly.

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »

Mine were / are based on Ronin. We have the same mast intentionally ( we should have had the same gantry system as well, but that's another story). All measurements given to Hyde's diagram, indeed I gave them a very detailed set of measurements with rig tension on and design mast rake. I have had to have my Hyde's altered significantly to even go up my mast and to set. But Hyde's have been very reasonable to me over them at the end of the day, even though they didn't fit, and they are nicely made.

Why not talk to http://www.landenberger-sailing.com in Germany. He's a top sailmaker and you'll be dealing in EUROs.
Or indeed NORTH's they have a spainish office: http://www.es.northsails.com/

North Sails SLU

Polígono Industrial A Ran, 62
36675, Cuntis - Pontevedra
Tel 986.548132
Fax: 986.548259
E-mail: [email protected]

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 08:57:10 PM »
It took me 8 months from full payment to get a jib from them
You really don't get any luck withg big name sailmakers do you Phil!

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 10:06:45 PM »
George, just for your reference your mast is maximum height so there is no need to worry about extending the mast to reach the mast cap. As I recall, the boom is also quite long so you might just be ok without having to make any modifications. The main difference you will find is that the bistro's are an old design, and so the mast is quite a long way forward from where it is on the new boats. This will mean your jib will be smaller so you will need a larger main if you want to reach the maximum sail area.

yorx

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 01:30:35 PM »
Hi George (Jorge), thanks for the email,  who recommended me to you?

I could make you a cherub main in pentex for £650 plus vat

The jib would cost £275 plus vat In pentex

A kite would be £590 plus vat made from dynakote

This is an email of GP Sails

yorx

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 01:10:38 AM »
I have a real good prices of fyfe sails. 

What do you thinks about this sails?

Main Sail Flex Pentex 0261 1003A NZ$975.  00
Jib Dacron 3.  8oz 0261 1003B NZ$506.  00
Gennaker Dynalite75 0261 1003C NZ$785.  00

I need a news foils, where can i buy?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 01:13:12 AM by yorx »