Author Topic: Righting lines  (Read 11742 times)

roland_trim

Righting lines
« on: January 27, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »
For the next few outings I am going to be pulling the boat up alot, especially as we need to practise getting into EJ.

Has anyone else used righting lines?

If yes did it negate the need to sit on the board?

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Wanabe Guru
    • www.uk-cherub.org
Re: Righting lines
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 04:39:48 PM »
I used to have righting lines on my 14 and I still needed to get on the board I was using a heavy ali mast, that needed two people on the board.

On my cherubs I have usually just doubled over on a section of the kite sheets. I think that you would need to get on the board to get back into the boat quickly, I either go through the gap or around the front and climb up just infront of the mast, one hand on the wing and one on the hull.

Forum Administrator

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 05:29:01 PM »
Is the desire is to right the boat without getting on the board at all?

roland_trim

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
Is the desire is to right the boat without getting on the board at all?
I'm not sure that is acutally possible. Dreamland would be to hook on in the water, put two feet on the hull and push out. Boat comes up so far then then pull that rope until hand gets near the rack.

This may require some re-writing of physics, and then some real magic to make the line vanish. Ideally to use this I would have to collect  the line from somewhere near the bow  (floats lowe than stern) and the loaded end would tie to the rack near the shroud. I'm guessing I'll post some pictures after I've tried it.

Once we get going into the season there will be no need for any of this as I will be fitter, lighter and more mobile (and hopefully we'll swim less when the job actually tacks).

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 09:05:10 AM »
I had righting lines on the PlusPlus, but for Cherubs grabbing the kite sheet each side of the turning block has always done it for me. For practice I find the rig upwind method is lowest energy, but have never used it on a boat with scaffolding...

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 10:23:19 AM »
I did once manage to right Atum without actually getting onto the board, from the water I grabbed the end of the board and using my superior man strength* I just pulled down and brought the boat up. Not sure whether this is possible using the tree trunk on the Badger. Maybe I'll try it some time!

On the Badger we have the take ups for the kicker and cunni lead out and down the racks, these can be pulled if required, or as others have said the spinni sheets either side of the block also work.

My technique for getting back in the boat is to get Alex to go to leeward, I grab the trap and put my feet onto the rack, then just stand up and climb in. I have to be quick with this, as Alex weighs roughly the same amount as one of my legs, so even with him wiring out the other side I can capsize the boat back on top of me!

*Whether it was my superior strength or just being a bit of a pie which enabled this feat, I wouldn't like to say either way!

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 12:44:17 PM »
I found the board higher out of the water than Slippery's.  I always went over the thicker leading edge.  I used the spinny sheet around the block on the weekend which works a treat.  I was then able to get between the hull and the racks to get back in.  My limited weight  would not budge the boat without me climbing on the board.  I don't need to polish the board it is slippery enough as it is.
I haven't tried water starting. But that sounds like a good idea.

I must also get fit to help the climb upto the board and the getting in bits but don't yet need to resort to the mr. muscle buoyancy aid to get between the racks. Ask Roland.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 01:06:31 PM »
Ah yes, that is my other preferred technique. If when you are stood on the board, you reach over and grab the trapeze ring, you can just pull yourself up into the boat as it comes up. When it's really windy you can just arrive in the trapezing position on the rack and then get cracking as soon as the helm is ready.

ps. I have had a lot of experience capsizing so count myself as a bit of a pro in this field. I would be happy to run a training day in advanced capsize recovery techniques if anyone is interested!

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 03:14:20 PM »
We have lines but I think are just to stop old people falling off the board.
I use them all the time.
They do lesson the chance of snapping the board as you can stand much closer to the hull.
As for getting in, if you can volt a smal vence getting is easy it is all in the timing.

Offline andy_paterson

• Wanabe Guru
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 06:14:06 PM »
Quote from: dave_ching link=topic=603. msg6799#msg6799 date=1267197260
We have lines but I think are just to stop old people falling off the board. 
I use them all the time.
They do lesson the chance of snapping the board as you can stand much closer to the hull.
As for getting in, if you can volt a smal vence getting is easy it is all in the timing.
That's why I put them on! ( ie me = old )
Depends where you sail though - in the Solent the waves make it hard to stand on the board. 
( and you shouldn't fall in if the water is flat )