Author Topic: Carbon group buy.  (Read 8807 times)

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
Carbon group buy.
« on: June 29, 2010, 02:26:49 PM »
I notice Matrix are selling a roll of 300gm biax for about £700 quid which works out at about £5 per square meter. Can I interest anyone in a group buy? I cant afford/dont need 133m of the stuff!

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
Re: Carbon group buy.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 02:37:05 PM »
and ull be using 300g/sqm carbon for what???
heavy stuff

however i will be ordering a whole load of stuff in the next few weeks so i f u want to partner up and collect at thornbury???
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 11:23:02 AM »
Well my boat is mostly 400g of glass so not heavy by my standards! Thanks for the offer John but I am currently without wheels so I am going to have to get stuff delivered.

roland_trim

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:40:49 PM »
Any order with Matrix made (and paid for by Friday 3pm) can be delivered to Poole this weekend for nout. Same offer for Thornbury or any other event we are at.

Matrix is very near to BGM's premisis, but please PM or call me to dicuss the all important "how" before calling Matrix.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 01:13:18 PM »
You need about 4 m^2 to do bulkhead/ spine pannels on an e5. needing about 1 m^2 of plain weave also.  The rest of the laminates/connections are done with plain weave.  There is noting from stopping you from cutting cloths from your roll at 45 degrees giving fibres in the 0 deg and 90 deg directions.  Biax does not tend to give as good surface finish unless moulded because it is a stiched cloth and not a woven cloth.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 10:46:43 PM »
300g biax would probably work well on the bulkheads and also the inside of the hull and parts of the underside of the deck. you could use it in areas that you would normally plan on using two layers of 200gsm woven.

The lack of crimp in the fibers would give good stiffness, however it would not be so good for impacts. I would want to vac it, as I have found biax difficult to wet out and consolidate.

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale