Author Topic: spinnaker halyard system  (Read 17270 times)

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
Re: spinnaker halyard system
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 07:24:32 PM »
The stuff that Tim put onto PR seems very low friction, however I think that it absorbs a lot of water as it never seems to dry out.

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 10:14:02 AM »
Atums sock was a modified RS800 one.

Lucy made Antidote's one from cat tramp material which is v slippy. We got it from Grant Piggot  sails - v good bloke and friend of the class. He made a set of sails for Loco. http://www.gpsails.com/

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 03:14:29 PM »
any tips on keeping friction to a minimum apart from obviously having a few blocks as possible involved

It's pretty much all been said. Good quality blocks, thin string and keeping everything as in line as possible will all help. Interesting notes on the sock material choice. I think I am going for a bag kite though.   

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 04:03:29 PM »
Whoah! Unusual!

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 04:17:22 PM »
any tips on keeping friction to a minimum apart from obviously having a few blocks as possible involved

I think I am going for a bag kite though.   

Funny this is something I am actually thinking about. As I think it may be easier for my very small crew, although by the time I get some sails he may be a bit bigger!

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 10:35:22 PM »
Use Holmenkol Seal and glide stuff to coat your kite.  It makes a huge difference to hoists and drops reducing the friction of kite to sock. The stuff is a bit pricy but make do 2 spinnakers.  Use a spray lub on the inside of you sock.

We've used a trampoline mesh material for our socks with no problems. We have also coppied ATum and Antidotes spinny sheet elastic take ups which appear to work well.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 01:14:56 PM »
I've done a fair bit of bagging in the Woof 12's and also Simon Rs slug at some events. I can tell you that bagging in the Woof is a lot easier than bagging in the slug. With no false floor and a very dished hull shape you keep the CoG very low. Standing 'on top' of the slug makes it quite a bit more tippy.

Saying that, as long as your crew is good at "windmilling" then they should be fine. It didn't take many drops before I was as quick as dropping with a chute, and it does make you a lot more focussed! I think from a point of view of finding a crew for events you might struggle with a bag. Finding someone good enough to crew the cherub is quite difficult as it is, but throwing the spanner in the works of having a bag will make life more difficult still.