Author Topic: 2303 - A new beginning...  (Read 19025 times)

Offline Eggbert

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
Re: 2303 - A new beginning...
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 09:35:56 PM »
Tim i have a 25 second video from Draycote of your first sail it's not very good and my fingers in the shot for a bit but it's there if you want it.
2535  91 rules  "Eggbert the Nasty" for sale
2657  97 rules  "Slippery When Wet"

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 01:17:53 PM »
Cool, I do want it please!  ;D

Offline Eggbert

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 10:05:19 PM »
it has been emailed to MK who said he would forward it to you

Offline MK

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 10:20:23 PM »
i sent it to your @aol account timmy

Offline Eggbert

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 10:59:06 PM »
it's nothing special but i think it's your first launch

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 09:24:38 AM »
Awesome, thanks very much. I will forward it to the former owners as they have requested to be kept updated with the progress (who in turn were asked by the previous owner to be kept in the loop!) Hopefully someone will be about to take some more pictures this coming weekend at the vintage boat event.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 11:05:40 AM »
I have a couple of photos from a windy weekends sailing at Roadford sailing club last weekend.

and one which shows off the delightful new paint job!

Wind varied from force 3 - 6 which made for some exciting sailing and racing. Despite opting not to use the spinnaker it was still amazing fun (my girlfriends 4th time in a boat of any sort so went for safety!) Really looking forward to getting back out there this weekend and continuing the training!

The boat will also be attending the nationals with a crack team of Kate and my Dad sailing it! Excellent!

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 11:55:41 AM »
Looks good Tim, but I have to ask. What is that 'thing'?! It looks like a fat scow moth, and is that a trapeze harness next to it?
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Jake_holmes

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 11:59:04 AM »
Looks good Tim, but I have to ask. What is that 'thing'?! It looks like a fat scow moth, and is that a trapeze harness next to it?

I was going to ask the exact same thing.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 12:05:25 PM »
It is a Scow Moth. No trapeze. Was built in 1976 (i think) it won an aussie nationals and then came over for the worlds in the UK in '82. The guy has recently re-decked it with 1.5mm ply. Was a cool boat! He also used to crew a cherub and came 4th at the nationals at Grafham many years ago! Quite interestingly I also met sailors who had previously owned 2305 and 2333. They now sail Finns though!

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 11:52:31 AM »
Sailed The Cats Whiskers for the final shake down before the nationals on Saturday which was most excellent, blowing 4-5, short chop, fair bit of spray... all was well with the world! Unfortunately, the boat started to feel a bit sluggish and we ended up dicking it in on a gybe when a squall came through, when the boat was over I could hear it hissing quite loudly so I knew there was water getting in somewhere... and a lot of it! Got the boat up and then got a tow in as the boat was sitting really low in the water by this point... 30 mins later we had finished scooping and sponging water out of the boat and it was time to investigate!

Anyway, after removing one of the gunwale strips it was evident that there was a big split between the skins on the gunwale...

As you can see, this was sanded down and cleaned up as best as I could in the boat yard, then this was bogged into place and glassed (one layer of 300g biax and a layer of tight weave 200g 0-90) then peel ply. Then packaged up ready for a night under the stars... and rain clouds!

This was the result once that had been removed...

We then attached a nice new piece of hardwood rubbing strip on the gunwale as the previous one was starting to look a bit rotten.

Then, a nice lick of paint was added to cover up the evidence! (Note the rain shelter constructed using a windbreak between the car and a couple of boats!)

All that is left to do tonight is put the fittings back on and tie her up ready for the road on tomorrow!

loster

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 07:10:03 PM »
Those are some great pics.
Keep them coming.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 10:57:53 AM »
Had 2303 back out on the water last weekend after spending the winter in the dinghy park down in Roadford where it seems to have faired quite well. Had a couple of sails at Roadford in light airs before packing it up and heading back to its new home at Netley SC. This weekend we rigged up and took part in the 2nd race of the day (a 'Police Incident' on the A3 delayed us in making the first start!) but by then the breeze had freshened to a nice force 3-4.

The starting sequence was Cats first and then a mixed handicap fleet 5 mins after which consisted of Supernova, Laser Radial, Wayfarer, RS Vareo, RS800, Contender etc so we had a pretty good mix of boats to compete against (most of which faster than our PY 1115) After 4 laps without using the spinnaker (thought we'd take it easy and just ensure the boat was still firing on all cylinders) we managed to stay ahead of the Wayfarer, Byte, RSVareo and Radial which we were quite pleased with. We were met by the Race Officer who wanted to chat PY with us as soon as we landed so we assume we must have done ok ;-)