Author Topic: Madge Repairs  (Read 16441 times)

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
Re: Madge Repairs
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2012, 11:52:02 AM »
If you have yet to build a tiller I think that I would go for an  S shaped tiller. Keep it horizontal at the stock to preserve the depth of the stock, then an angled section to bring it up over the transom bar, and then back to horizontal so the tip does not go too high and drag the extentions.

It is worth checking to see if the tiller hits the side deck before getting the carbon out, as this may restrict your steering angles. You could do the angles as Will suggests by cutting a tube, however using foam would let you use curves which might look better.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2012, 01:03:13 PM »
From the comments above which I agree with  you want the inboard end of the tiller as low as the side decks allow. 

If you are using a pivoting stock around a fixed pin you could have the situation the the tiller is lower than the side deck with negative foil on.  This is ok so long as you will not need negative foil at the start or in light airs.

For a fixed foil the tiller extensions will be broadly horizontal with the tiller just above the side deck.  We found this a little low on Slippery but you also need the steering anlges.  I had a tiller length of 600mm forward of the pivot pin.

Offline pratn0

• Class member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2012, 11:32:50 AM »
work goes on.

tiller near completion.
3217 - Green Bananas (Kermit)

Offline pratn0

• Class member
  • Guru's Assistant