Author Topic: Building Paterson 8 in Dubai  (Read 77713 times)

doug1720

Building Paterson 8 in Dubai
« on: August 06, 2009, 05:55:57 AM »
Have been working on the plug for a couple of weeks....hope to get it finished this weekend.

Interested that the next AC may be in Ras Al Khaimah - this is one of the Emirates in UAE and about an hour and a half drive from where I live in Dubai.....looks like it will be great to watch.

It is quiet here as so hot and Ramadan coming up and so will get even quieter!  This will help me get on with it!

I will update with photos on the build as I make progress.

Thanks.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
Re: Building Paterson 8 in Dubai
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:51:27 PM »
That is excellent you are getting started on your build, I look forward to seeing pictures of the progress.

I guess you will have the opposite problem to building in the North Scotland where it is sometimes difficult to get the garrage hot enough to cure the epoxy properly.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

doug1720

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:41:27 PM »
Agreed ...unfortunately the summers are hot!  Around 45 most days.  Lows of 32 or so!

Like this until middle of September.  Lots of AC everywhere so liveable.

I will post pics shortly.

Thanks.

doug1720

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 02:15:27 PM »
Been working over the weekend and starting to look like a boat.  :)

Picture attached.  Hope you all enjoyed the nationals.

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 05:40:57 PM »
Looking good so far. Must be one of the cleanest boat-building workshops I've seen!

I must confess I didn't realise there was a Paterson 8 design yet. Is this a complete new Andy P. design, or an evolution of the P7? Is it optimised for use with T-foils like the Ellway 5?

doug1720

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 04:47:36 AM »
I think it will look more like an Elway 5 than a Paterson 7.  I do not know about design optimised for T-Foils but certainly will give them a go.  My son sails a foiling moth bladerider here and so I can get a closeup on the foils and management mechanisms for both daggerboard and rudder.

Wind conditions are 99% sea breeze, around 12-14knts.  So looking to optimise for those conditions. 

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 09:53:21 AM »
Great photo. Really exciting there is a build in Dubai. Does sound like pretty much perfect cherub sailing venue. Shapewise there is a bit of a convergence - looks fast and pointy!

Nationals were superb - utterly excellent. I will be buzzing with it for months. I'll write in the proper thread though.

doug1720

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 06:48:10 PM »
Good to hear the Nationals went well.....I will put on more photos as the build progresses.

Offline andy_paterson

• Wanabe Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 11:01:18 PM »
Good to see some progress Doug !

P8 is a new design - based on the P7, with the widest part of the hull/chines moved aft, ie it has a longer and pointier bow.
Similar rocker, flat  sections,  low chines and vertical topsides to the P7.  

With a little influence from the e5 - eg the more wedgy shape and the E5 type of stem/snout.

A liitle pic of an early version, before bending the sides in at the stem. ( also it was 13 feet long oops!)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:03:03 PM by andy_paterson »

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 02:55:04 PM »
Any news on the build?

roland_trim

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 07:53:49 AM »
We met Doug at Lymington. Lovely guy, plug still in progress.
Doug, when you are read this can I send my appologies as my phone ran out of batteries - thus loosing your phone number!
R

doug1720

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 03:17:34 PM »
Hi,
I must admit to getting slowly off the mark!  I hoped to have a quiet time over Ramadan but ended up travelling all around the Middle East and back to UK.

It is a bit tricky getting all the supplies in the UAE, but have done that in the last couple of weeks.  Vacuum Pump arrived (I bought a 99 quid version from Ebay). 

Have started by making the bulkheads, wanted to practice before doing the hull  - done!

I am putting some extra work into filling and fairing the mould; I hope this will reduce the filling and fairing of the hull!

I am planning for the next few weeks to get the hull done although recognising this is the easy bit ;D

Off travelling to North America for the week and then Istanbul but should have some time in the UAE to make progress.

I have also moved house...I now have a great garage to work from.

A couple of photos attached.  (I have included one from a recent visit to Baghdad!)

The sailing conditions are really improving here - cooling down- and I have been out volunteering for the local club.  My son has been out in his foiling moth in shorts and t-shirt!

As I get into the build I will be asking more details questions and so looking forward to your kind support!

Doug

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 08:18:39 AM »
Good job! I can see the family resemblance of the P8 to the previous Patersons.

(Excellent use of palm trees and dappled shade, by the way. It is 8am here and grey and cold outside. 6 more months of this - nice!)

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 02:28:15 PM »
Jealous? Not at all! ::)
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 05:31:12 PM »
good stuff.

I could put a few more photos up of our build but it might be easier to stick them on a CD and post by snail mail.

Would be happy to share my thoughts with you.

Once you have a hull and bulkheads take a moment to think about the rig, mast position and spreader angles.  These will help you fit the main bulkheads in the correct place and angle them correctly.
For us it was then make mast stump.  While you are at it you may as well make all the tubes.