Author Topic: 2631  (Read 11932 times)

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:13:17 PM »
Great job Neil! She really looks good.

There is another question to answer with that boat, which is "would she have been quick in her day?" I don't think it would be totally unfair to suggest that Mr Stephens never really sailed her to best advantage.

A I remember the design dates to just before the Copes figured out the loophole in the rules of taking the rise of floor measurement on the topsides  which really came to fruition on the Bistro and permitted narrower beam, but I'm sure Andy would hope she'd be a good bit faster than Foaman 8s and the like. I guess the main target would have been the Ellway 4s: funny how *all* of these seem to be off the active list...

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: 2631
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 09:27:41 PM »
Thanks Jim. I must say I'm pretty pleased with the restoration so far. There's still a bit more weight to add with all the fittings, but I'm still very hopeful of getting her on or under the weight limit. You're right, the Paterson 4 was built to the same rule set as the Bistro, but without the slightly narrower chine. It's a very nice shape, not too extreme in any way, but I guess there's only one way of finding how how she really goes! Plan A is to get her sailing in original 1980's symmetric kite format, and I'm hopeful of being on the water around Easter. But this is a development class, so after that, who knows!

Neil

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 08:39:14 AM »
Very nice indeed Neil. I wish my boat was that light!

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:50:43 PM »
Bugger.
The 2631 restoration is finally complete. Grand launching ceremony was planned for today, with a forecast for 20degC and 8-10 knot westerly. Got down to the sailing club at 11am to find a solid Force 4-5 with loads of white water. Very anxious looking crew ( aged 10), matched by very anxious looking Dad (I know how dodgy the rudder stock is). Decided to bin it for today and went bike riding instead. Try again tomorrow. 

N.

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:21:51 PM »
Didn't know you were going to sail her with you son. Nice one. That'll be three 'Juniors' in the fleet! Yours, Graham's and my lad. Fantastic!

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Groovejet 2631
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 02:57:55 PM »
2631, built in 1986, was never named and to my knowledge has not sailed for the best part of 20 years. I am very happy to announce that Groovejet was re-launched today, and has had a very enjoyable maiden voyage, in a pleasant F2-3 and wall to wall sunshine. Unfortunately I forgot to bring the camera! She remains, as with all proper Cherubs, a work in progress. The rig needs a fair bit of tweaking as she won't point very well at the moment, and we had the usual minor teething troubles, but nothing too vital. Hopefully I'll be able to post some development stuff as the season goes on.   
N.

lucy_lee

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 05:18:52 PM »
Go Neil!

Don't forget that were you to decide to sail the boat with one of your daughters, you would also be in good company, with Jim and Beth Barnes and Laurence and Isla Trim too.

roland_trim

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 07:40:20 PM »
Fantastic news. Many congratulations (from both H&I)