Author Topic: help please  (Read 15040 times)

jim

help please
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:04:44 PM »
hi i have resently become a cherub fan and reasontly brought my one out of the barn and been fixing it up. i went for my first sail in it the other week at burfield sailing club and really enjoyed it i am use to sailing rs 500's and 14's but after my first outing i am hooked i have a old ply cherub with a asymetric sail number 2522. i really wont to know more about it for example its design but do not know were to start i also need a new kite for it and once again don't know were to start so if any one could help me it would be great. as it is quite a tatty boat and has been quite badly damaged in its past i am looking in to buying a new one probley 97 rules but i am also realy intrested in modifying a 97 rules in to curent rule but have found it almost impossible finding old cherubs around if any one can help i would be very greatful
thank you jim
[email protected]

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: help please
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 09:40:56 PM »
Hi Jim,

How glad I am to hear of "Dr Huffhurr", Cherub 2522! There were reports of destruction and rottage, but it seems these were all wrong. Do send a photo.

Phil and I sailed that boat in the 1995 nationals and had a riot - she was old then.

Here's a video of your boat dodging HMS Brilliant (out of shot).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUUkv7nTeTc&eurl=http://www.sailingsource.com/cherub/test/doku.php/videos&feature=player_embedded

Phil Alderson and I are aboard.

There are loads of boats for sale at the moment - but it sounds like Flying Kipper could be the boat for you. All the structural work has been done but there're a few more bits to do.

Keep in touch

jim

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 06:18:27 PM »
thank you very much for your message it is nice to hear you still remember it i am going to try and put some photos up soon but the varnish is still drying on the deck and don't dare more it for dust thank again
jim

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:29:11 PM »
Hey Jim,

To give you a clue about 2522's age, I used to have 2521 (fibre glass Jennifer Julian, sadly consigned to a skip a long time ago) which I reckon was built when I was about 15, which was in 1978... which makes me older than I care to calculate !

Graham

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 08:17:48 AM »
The design of your boat is a Hot Dog - similar to a Forman 4 but a bit boxier in the chest.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 10:06:18 PM »
The design of your boat is a Hot Dog - similar to a Forman 4 but a bit boxier in the chest.
Dunno about that at all Will. The Hot dog was one of the first boats to digest what had been seen of the Australian and New Zealand boats (disappearing into the distance) at the '74 Worlds. Really very different to (much flatter) and a lot faster than a Forman 4, much more like a Forman 8. Perhaps a bit prone to getting slowed up by a vicious chop, but still a more modern shape than 90% of what's on sale now!

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 06:11:47 AM »
That boat was the first Cherub I sailed, I did two nationals in it one with Will in Plymouth and one in Babacome with another 14 sailor called Jamie. It was a light wind event and I remember the trim was vital. Too far forward and the water came in through the hole in the bow for the sipiniker pole, too far back and it came in through the transom flaps. Just right and it was a trickle from both. We were probably a bit too heavy for the boat.

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale