Author Topic: Racks anyone?  (Read 18347 times)

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 03:26:21 PM by ross_burkin »
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Racks anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 04:51:31 PM »
These are likely to be heavy and bendy.

Long ago I saw a Boss mast break....

....afterwards I looked at it and it was clear it was black outpigment with some carbon and mostly glass roughly on-axis and approximately straight, but with comedy wiggles in the fibres. Verdict: OK for making trollies, if you get it free, ut no good at all for making sailing boats.

These may be a bit better, but there was every commercial pressure on Topper to make it cheap, and no commercial pressure on Topper to make it any good at all.

W

Offline smight at bbsc

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 08:07:44 PM »
Well i can't imagine them being terrifically good but the crew weight for a boss is quite a lot higher than that of a cherub so i would presume that they could take the crew weight.  Plus i would presume that they would need to be shortened a bit which would help with the bendyness.

George

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 04:01:17 PM »
No shorter: Ours are 2.6m long.

W

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
You can get away with some amazingly thin walled rack tubes if you are willing to put up with a small risk of damage something Topper will not be interested in risking. Robustness means weight.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline gav_sims

• Former_Member
  • Newb
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 04:32:01 PM »
hmmm, I seem to remember boss racks being pultruded carbon tube (so just fibres running at zero degrees) and therefore relatively easy to squash and therefore break......... I also seem to remember the solution for several Bosses that used to sail at my club was to fit a length of plastic tube down the inside of the rack tubes.  This was a close fit and stopped the tube cross section collapsing.

I sailed a boss several times and have memories of the racks being quite bendy.

p.s. the launching trolley for Mango was made from the remains of an original boss mast.  It was made in 2 halves in a female mould with black gelcoat on the outside.  The two halves were joined together with some glass tape on the inside.  It was constructed in an 'S' bend without rig tension on, with the lower part being inverted and the top pre-bent.  As kicker was applied the bottom of the mast straighted.

frederic_thouvenin

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 09:28:51 PM »

p.s. the launching trolley for Mango was made from the remains of an original boss mast.  It was made in 2 halves in a female mould with black gelcoat on the outside.  The two halves were joined together with some glass tape on the inside.  It was constructed in an 'S' bend without rig tension on, with the lower part being inverted and the top pre-bent.  As kicker was applied the bottom of the mast straighted.

This trolley is always so beatyfull !  ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:33:18 PM by frederic_thouvenin »