Author Topic: An all to familiar sight...  (Read 14123 times)

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
An all to familiar sight...
« on: October 24, 2008, 06:47:13 PM »
...for most Cherub sailors. Cutting holes in carbon/foam (though it looks like Nomex to me) boats to either repair or modify. This is a picture of the hole in the side of Hugo Boss after a French fishing boat 'accidently' rammed the side of it. It's almost big enough to fit a Cherub through sideways!
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: An all to familiar sight...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 09:17:01 AM »
Do you really think the collision wasn't an accident? That is quite a claim!

Thanks for posting the pic but I've never seen anything like that - not familiar to me at all! Is it familiar to any other cherubbists out there? The only pic I've seen was of an early W60 Yamaha getting the same treatment during a stop over - just delaminated due to too much speed!

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »
French fishing boat 'accidently' rammed
"Never ascribe to malice what may satisfactorily be explained by incompetence..."

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 06:19:43 PM »
Well said Jim. But when in the Y&Y report we were told this:

'The race boat was visible with its navigation lights, trim lights and a strobe light on. Its radar and AIS systems were also activated and working.'

Things begin to look a little suspicious.
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 04:47:56 AM »
 One scenario I can imagine is that they have a route back to harbour plotted on the autopilot that doesn't go across the shipping channel, so rather than have someone on the bridge watching nothing they've got in the habit of having everyone sorting out the catch and gear, thinking that keeping an ear open for alarms from the electronics will deal with any unexpected traffic. That night they were particularly busy and no-oe heard the alarms. It had never caused a problem before and with the extra hand on the gear they get off work half an hour earlier each night...

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 01:18:40 PM »
Yes Will I have seen similar sizes of damage.

GRP ships do occasionally hit things and do damage to themselves and gets repaired. The bigger you are the more it hurts is a good way to describe it.