Author Topic: The Build of Elway 5 no.3  (Read 68616 times)

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
Re: The Build of Elway 5 no.3
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2009, 01:54:36 PM »
any pictures phil???

great news!!!

also do you still have that dvd with pictures of your build that you sent to rob (rs405)

john
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2009, 03:40:19 PM »
As far as I know I am not expecting a CD! However, if Phill would be kind enough to send me one it would be very much appreciated. Well done on reaching the end of your build. I think its probably a bit cold to be sailing at the moment though.

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2009, 04:39:30 PM »
it might not have been you then ..... :S
but it was someone
also, man up and sail in the snow..... there is added incentive to not capsize
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2009, 09:58:25 PM »
man up and sail in the snow..... there is added incentive to not capsize
Floating ice, on the other hand is not good for new paint and is best avoided.

Thinks: I wonder at what sort of temperatures the properties of our composite layups start getting significantly compromised. I do know that at not too many degrees below 0C a Topper starts getting very brittle and will shatter if struck.

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2009, 10:41:19 PM »
hmmm.........good point i feel like i am endagering cheese by sailing now :(

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2009, 12:44:20 PM »
I sent a CD to Doug in Dubai mostly because he does not have another boat to look at for inspitration.

I can send another copy to you both if you would be good enough to provide an address.  PM. me with the details.

In cold temperatures the properties of composities do change.  resins become stronger so you could expect a stiffer boat. The problem is that it also becomes more brittle and is more likely to crack or shatter than flex a little when hit.  The epoxy will be affected more than the fibres so fillets are more at risk.  These differences start to occure bellow zero degrees but are probably not a great concern until -10.  By this point the water will either be solid or you will so it doesn't matter beyond there.

At hot temperatures composit structures go floppy when above their glass transition Temperature Tg. We are not talking shade temperatures from the weather forecast but the actual temperature experienced by the boat etc. In direct sun the local temperature can be much higher than the surounding air temp. black boats beware!

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2009, 07:08:06 PM »
Great news!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj6nKSqmCTo&feature=related

(rig tension!)

those ice boat are great. Could of used one at Burghfield over the last few days! Not totally sure why they run with the rigs canted over, you also see the 'D' class ( I think ) with realy bendy mast that look like there going to break! Its the mast mid section that bends to leeward no the top section, which is even stranger. Love to know why this is done.

found a pic...

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2009, 03:05:55 AM »
[the mast mid section that bends to leeward no the top section, which is even stranger. Love to know why this is done.
Its because they are over rotating wing masts - because they won't bend for and aft the tip bends up to windwards under leech/kicker loads.  It can be very good for twist management, but how on earth sails get cut for a rig that bends like that is beyond me.

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2009, 07:03:07 PM »
Thanks Jim.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #144 on: January 03, 2010, 10:19:09 PM »
Here are a couple of poor photos of E-numbers.
First with the boat rigged in the dying light, the second tucked up in the garage in her smart undercover.

Waiting for warmer weather.

Are the D class ice yachts limmited on sail area?

If so getting the mast tip to bend to windward acts to power up the rig. And increase leach tension. 420's do this by lengthening spreaders.

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2010, 11:23:36 AM »
That looks great. You must be proud of your hard work. How did you do the jib in the end? Have you got it rigged side to side or did you use the tower?

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2010, 01:18:26 PM »
Looks excellent Phil and Sarah! Well done!

I'd probably want to put some pro grip on those wing supports at the back too... you never know when you might need it! (for reference, the badger has pro grip on the wing supports AND the gantry. all have been used in anger!)

Do you have any more photos of the sails? They look good.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2010, 01:39:19 PM »
Top job! (best wishes from Norway)

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2010, 10:16:06 PM »
cheers guys,

Sorry no more pictures of the sails at present. They were a good fit in my opinion but time will tell when we get the boat on the water and have some tweaking time.

The jib sheet system is similar to the other elways going forward from the main sheet via a swivel cleat on the turret to the starboard track end plate. It turns through a block tied through the end plate and goes to the car. With two blocks on the car and one on the clew you get a 2:1 purchase here. The sheet then leads to the starboard ear where it is normally dead ended. The sheet is then led forward and turns round a block under the shute and is tied to a single pulley. The fine tune leads round the block on the end of the sheet back to the mast and then out to either side giving a 4:1 purchase for the crew to operate. The tails of the jib fine tune lead back to the mast and the slack goes forward under the sock on an elastic tack up.
The ropes run smothly so it should work technically. It really come down to how we operate it.

Offline TSC

• Newb
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2010, 12:57:07 PM »
Phil, did you rig it up at Frampton or are my eyes decieving me?

Looking forward to sailing against you, let the game begin!!!