Author Topic: Foil repairs  (Read 2238 times)

Offline robin_davies

• Class member
  • Newb
Foil repairs
« on: November 12, 2022, 07:11:25 PM »
This isn’t good is it? I have wood grain peeping through the carbon of the daggerboard and carbon exposed on the rudder under what is either gelcoat or white pigmented resin which I picked away at (how do I tell what the finish is so I can match it?).

Daggerboard: should I add one layer of carbon patch with epoxy resin and sand down a bit? The fit in the casing is already tight. Perhaps leave it?

Rudder: should I fill this hole with white pigmented epoxy + high density filler and sand back?

Working through a long list of repairs on Badgers after that epic session with Jimmy and Oli. Really enjoying the experience.
:)
Robin

Offline deefender1098

• Alex Harris
  • Committee
  • Wanabe Guru
Re: Foil repairs
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 09:45:57 PM »
weave on the rudder looks ok.. id guess its just adhesion with the paint, your proposed epoxy filler should work perfectly as long as you're not overly fussed about a colour match (I wouldn't be!)

If you have space in the dagger board housing i would put some unidirectional fibres and weave over the top, if you can't fit it then your best bet would be to do a single layer of weave.(again if you have the space) If its wearing down in use it wont have suddenly lost loads of the fibres so likely wont fail immediately (but may eventually fail) however if some of the weave is wearing is the cause of the lack of fibres then there should be space to put some carbon back where its worn away....

if you decide to leave it then worst case scenario is it fails, i'm pretty sure there are people in the class with moulds for dagger boards that would be a bit higher aspect so i'm sure the class would be able to help you build a board and shim as a sticky weekend project if it came to it

glad you're making progress.

Alex
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 09:49:21 PM by deefender1098 »

Offline robin_davies

• Class member
  • Newb
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 07:16:43 PM »
Thank you Alex, this is reassuring.

Offline MonacoCherub

• Class member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 02:08:54 PM »
CB - that looks like it might have been sanded to make it fit?
If it is tight, suggest paint over some resin to seal and conveniently forget about it. The structural help provided by the carbon near the trailing edge, inside the case, is next to not doing very much at all.