Cherub Chat > Tech Chat

Optimum path

(1/3) > >>

MonacoCherub:
Dear all,
So the leaves are turning brown and it is time to review the build plan for the winter.

Right now I have a few too many options. So thought I'd share a bit here.

MonacoCherub:

1) The safety boat

We don't really use safety cover. But having a boat to float about and look like it is helping means that the local police and coast guard are not called by the local top-less sunbathers. These are well intentioned 70-90 year old ladies with increadible long distance sight. So far the Cherub fleet have 0 call outs, but the club cats are on blue light N3 of the year and the kite surfers banned.

The UK imported RIB didn't survive the last blast. The glue all melted, anyone wanting to hear a funny story - ask Ollie M at the next event.

So "Big Hilda VI" has been comissioned. A 5.5m fishing boat that cost E400 and is a bit alarmed to have the 60HP rib outboard slung on the back. J and I alowed ourselves 2 working days on the cosmetics of this boat. After that we launched it. It did not sink. However, it also does not like the throttle more than about 5% without me hanging off the bow.
So jobs to do here are
A) Wedges for the outboard
B)Move the outboard up on the transom
C) Stickers D) Reinforce the squidy deck
E)Fit an electric whinch to the trailer for less noisy recovery (chain hoist + Sunbathers = Unhappy Granny)

Once it works and we are happy to invest a bit to the idea
F) DSC Radio
G) Fit sound system and fishing rod holders for J (later)
H) Leisure battery and auto charger switch

MonacoCherub:
2) The active boats

Born Slippy and Magic Monkey are on the beach with Rig Tension on kites in sock. Ready to launch 5 minutes after I arrive at the beach. Pocket Rocket is in the driveway

All need cosmetic work.

Born Slippy's primer white has not liked the Sun exposure
Magic is still blotchy from the bow replacement 2 years ago
Pocket is suffering from being used

Action Planned before next blast
- Sail it. Sail it. Sail it

MonacoCherub:
3) Strangely Brown

Truely one of the best boats we have here. A total full on boat to sail in wind and waves.
Only her original sails fit her - and they are now almsot beyond service

The mast is about the same posiition as Born Slippy, but the forestay and top spreaders are really low. In addition the mast has been extended at the tip by about 300mm. The mast is lovely - I think a Home made Gav/Simon special?

Action
Stump the mast 400mm and cut off the top. Adjust the shrouds and gooseneck. Fit the same sails as BornSlippy

MonacoCherub:
4) Dangerous Strawberry
On roof of shed. Needs paint and to work out where the miracle that is DavRo got to. Boat is super light, super stiff and unlike I ever remember her being since 2006.

I will keep the mast as is and stu's requests for compatability for the 12 rigs (that are still in the UK). However, for the sails we have here - the mast is too floppy

Action
- Shed
- Primer, Paint
- Fittings
- Stump Born Slippy's old mast and adjsut shrouds to suit

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version