Author Topic: Inlands at Corus 2008  (Read 8009 times)

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Inlands at Corus 2008
« on: September 23, 2008, 12:40:51 PM »
Please note that there is a NOR for the Corus regatta on www.corussailing.org.uk

first start on Saturday will be 12:00 with a breifing at 11:30am

First start on Sunday will be at 10:30am. Unlike previous years this race is going to be a single start handicap race to raise money for charity.

Corus are generously donating £5 from each entry to the RNLI so it s well worth attending.

For those traveling a long way you are welcome to stay over at my house near bristol on Friday night. PM for details

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Inlands at Corus 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:47:46 PM »
Check!

Antidote will be there, with Flat Stanley too!

Slippery and Slippy and Cheese I know about as well.

mathew_harris

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 05:31:48 PM »
I'm afraid lack of a rudder stock and bowsprit combined with no mullah to buy carbon means Dreams is going to have to sit this one out. Shame as i was looking forward to it, hope you all have a good event though.

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 08:00:19 PM »
I am available for all your crewing needs.

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 10:14:32 AM »
It's going to windy!
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Debi_Gibson

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 04:36:20 PM »
Afraid Atum wont be there  :(  total lack of cash from both of us, and i have a lack of kitchen and a gapping hole in the bathroom floor that really need sorting

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 05:30:15 PM »
I assume we can camp?

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 12:17:31 PM »
We were allowed to camp last year either inside or outside of the club compound.

We need to ask the club nicely if we can borrow a gate key so that we have access to the club house facilities when we return from our evening entertainment.

I would make sure that you have a waterproof tent and a good sleeping bag. Autumn is here!

Sorry to hear that you will not be with us Stu and Debbie.  fixing the big hole in the cieling will win many browny points. dare i ask how the hole appeared?

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 02:54:15 PM »
Crew has cancled so I need a crew!

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 12:24:14 AM »
Saturday

Tinner and I arrived with Team Wales at 8:30 to be greeted by a cold, wet and gusty 30-35 knots of breeze. Proper sailing weather. Thinking that everyone else had looked out the window and retreated back to their duvets, we started rigging when a little red Polo turned up with Born Slippy in tow, followed by the Lee's and Slippery When Wet. After a blustery briefing we hit the water. The first start was at 12, but Stu and I were too busy hooning around like a right pair of onions to realise that there was a race! Tiny sails and/or lard were the call of the day, neither or which the Lee's had but the rest of the fleet did. Stu was shocked at how a tiny old boat with tiny old sails accelerates when the apparent kicks in. We pulled off one perfect gybe and were hammering across the lake when we dug the nose in, sending me arse first into the shroud base and bruising my coccyx quite badly. Manning up and dealing with the pain was the only option so we headed up for a few more kite runs. After a dodgy gybe the rig was just powering up and suddenly BANG! the rig was gone. The shroud had just torn through the stainless steel shroud plate leading to a catastrophic mast failure. End of the day for us!

Slippery performed the perfect pitch pole, Slippy broke another T-foil, we broke a mast and shroud plate, the Dr's damaged a jib, Slippery tore the windows in both the main and the jib, Strangely (sporting a new and possibly the worlds strongest mast stump) broke a tiller extension and had problems with their rudder falling off! In conclusion- a successful days Cherubing!

After derigging, Phil very kindly offered me his old mast at a very fair price so the race was on to get sailing on Sunday. The only difficulty being that we were in Port Talbot, Wales and the mast was in chateau Kirk, Bristol.

I have no idea what happened during the 'race' but team Wales in Strangely were (unknowingly) winning by the end of the first day.

Sunday

After receiving a phone call from Paul Croote the night before and arranging to sail together I got a another phone call with the disappointing news that he was not going to be able to make it. Something to do with fuel injectors not working. This meant Stu and I had no excuses if we weren’t water bound by the afternoon.

A very shifty and miserable couple of knots at first but slowly built during the day, peaking at a nice force 3 at around 1 o'clock (agreed? I was mast fixing...) and dropping off again.

Phil and Sara had bought the replacement mast with them so we started stripping it and measuring it up...after the essential bargain breakfast sausage, egg and bacon rolls. After a few hours we had mast upright on Flat Stanley. It was massively over raked but at least we had gone from unsailable mess to potential inlands winner in a couple of hours!

A 505 had joined the assy fleet today and royally minced most of the boats in the dying breeze on a windward/windward course. Will and Lucy won a race on the water beating the 505, 800 and the 4000. Team Wales were not exactly enjoying the conditions and unfortunately lost their lead.

We finished the mast and rigged up ready to win just as the abandonment flag went up. We had got this far so we decided to go for a drift. Mission accomplished!

Thats all I can remember for now (I'm completely knackered). It was a cracking event at Britain’s maddest and friendliest club and I shall definitely return.

I'm looking forward to doing some boat tuning. I have never really done any before so I should learn a lot. The first thing to do is replace my shroud plates!

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 01:02:45 PM »
Brilliant report Ross,

Our story started on friday night when the Lee's arrived for some overnight kippage and loaned us their vaccum pump. 

We left (a little late) on Saturday morning with the Lee's going direct and Sarah and i picking up Slippery from Thornbury sailing Club.  We managed to do this without being caught in a conversation with any of the club members who were just launching for their races.

Our plan to acess Wales by the old Severn bridge failed. It was already closed due to strong winds.  A big de-tour to the new bridge ensued.  The extra time allowed us to realise that we haven't sailed Slippery in strong winds since Bala when Sarah came away injured.  We arrived at 11:00 and quickly rigged, changed.

We helped everyone else launch before launching ourselves.  A clever tactic which allows you to review the early launchers progress.

With no casualties we launched and made a meal of it.   Basically the boat capsized before we could get in i righted it and it shot off before Sarah could join me. you can't swim as fast as an out of control cherub in a dry suit.  I managed to sail the boat back single handed towards the rescue boat in which Sarah was now a passenger.  We some how got Sarah onboard and blasted around while we waited for the first race to finish.  On the way towards the comittee boat we nose dived, Sarah lost her footing and I followed.  I surfaced to see the boat still balanced in the perfect pitch pole position with the transom in the air and mast on the water.    We capsized a lot and survived a few more nose dives  with up to the mast underwater. 

We started race two and capsized several times and eventually just couldn't get the boat back up.  Sarah swapped with the rescue boat driver who helped me right the boat and blast in.  he appeared to be quite shocked how such a little boat could go so fast and be so frightening.  meanwhile Sarah went to rescue the Lee's.

Sunday was lighter and more sailable.  more later.

lucy_lee

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »
Our weekend started with a leisurly trip to Bristol to kip over with Phil & Sarah.

On Saturday morning the van struggled over the Severn Bridge (new) and strained along the M4 into the howling wind. Arriving at Corus we looked at the frankly unappealing lake (Southern Ocean for models) and got rigging.

The start was a bit of a shambles frankly, we were glad to be upright and downwind of the line when the gun went, but any other tactical issues seemed very secondary.

It was properly howling, and the strategy was: bang the right, wait for something approximating a lull, bang in a tack and hope to be not too high on the layline as white water reaching was completely out of the question. For the first few legs we wussed out of using the kite, and found a cheeky little lull out left to gybe in. On the final run we could see Stanley hooning about and it seemed a limp not to join in the fun. Epic downwind pace, and a successful gybe gave us 1st in that race.
In the second race the breeze had built more, and the lulls were much more deadly. There was unbeleivably close quaters sailing off the start, given the wind strength but the race to the windward mark was won by the boat upright for the longest (Slippy). Antidote had one capsize after another in the big lulls and shifts as crew & helm got more and more tired. We managed to keep going right till the very last leeward mark were a messy capsize mean we drifted 2m too far and ended up in the marsh with no hope of righting and sailing off. Time for the rescue boat to lend a hand.
Strangley ended the first day in the lead by simple expedient of finishing both races: full mark to the Neyland Boys.

With Stanley's rig in 2 parts, and Slippery's bow fitting looking a bit ropey it was back to Bristol for some overnight garage engineering and a Pizza.

In the morning it was blowing a hooley in Bristol, but we threw caution to the winds and set off back along to COrus (van starting to make some slightly alarming noises by now).
On arrival ,it was dead calm. Spoooky! The wind blew a bit from the south, then the north, then not at all, then from the north again.

The club ran a mass handicap race starting at 10.30 in aid of the Lifeboats, which was remarkable only for the fact that every single leg was a reach of some description (OK, I exaggerate, we tacked twice) and that the start and every mark rounding was accompanied by really loud shouting from the visiting enterprise sailors!

It was then in for lunch and out again for three very short windward leeward races, with the addition of a 505 (on rescue the day before), a second Laser 4000 and the RS800 who had decided not to brave the maelstrom the day before. Not the most exciting racing in the world, but challenging enough with the need to really watch for every tiny shift and spot of pressure, and to keep the way on in all the manoevers. Classic inland saiing I guess.

All in all a very challenging but enjoyable weekend, and the poor van may well be going to the knackers yard after the meal it made of getting home.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 09:34:50 PM »
OK

So to wrap up Sunday was lighter and Sarah I started with more confidence. The first race started on a reach and we were recalled because a number of boats were over including us.

On the restart we hung back a bit and hoisted with 30 seconds to go.  With quite a big fleet I was praying that there was going to be a gap in the fleet to blast through.  We ended up going over the top of all the single handers gybed and came into the first mark on port.  With the Lee's outside of us! As we neared the second mark we went for a tack, I slipped and we went over. We then recovered, hit the mark with an extension did a 360 and joined the back of the fleet. We were stuck in Solo and enterprise vile for most of the race and nearly ran over some of them on the runs.  We were happy to finish the race in one peice.

The afternoon races were light and shifty so tactics were about being near the start line and moving.  Sarah was stuck on the foredeck for much of the time and I ended up hoisting at the windward mark to avoid us moving around too much and the boat stopping.  This did enable us to drift past the RS800 and laser 4000 who were stationary near the mark on a number of ocasions. 
In the second race we had to work hard to keep up with a Vago crewed by two youngsters.  I was impressed with how they had picked their way through the shifts so they deserved a good result. 

I did wonder if we would have done better in the enterprise however it would have been less challenging and what's the point of going sailing if it isn't a challenge.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 12:38:13 PM »
follow the link to results from the weekend.
overal cherub positions
1 Antidote to Pannel Games
2 Slippery When Wet
3 Born Slippy
4 Strangely Brown
5 Flat Stanley

http://www.corussailing.org.uk/racing%20results/2008/October%20regatta/Sailwave%20results%20for%20October%20Regatta%202008%20-%20Corus%20Sailing%20Club%20Margam%20Asym.htm

roland_trim

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 06:35:32 PM »
Have added the article to news. Please can someone update it with English?