Author Topic: 2009 Events calender  (Read 30476 times)

Offline dean_ralph

• Former_Member
  • Newb
Re: 2009 Events calender
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 08:22:25 PM »
There is the sheppey island race this is an open meeting for all comers date not posted yet.
Around the end of august beginning of september depending on tide

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 11:39:27 AM »
Can we have less at Weston!
I like the place but our open and the Easter Regatta is enough.
The rest of the south coast has venues too.

To be fair we, as a class, only organise to have one event at Weston. As this is one of the few clubs in the country actually willing to put on an event for us, I suggest we keep it up.

The other 2 events at Weston, the Grand Slam and the Skiff Regatta are handicap events that just so happen to be well attended by Cherubs. And this is another reason to have events at Weston because they always get a good turnout.

Couple this with:
- friendly club
- big, open, flat-ish, not too tidal piece of water
- wward/lward courses
- big grassy patch of grass to rig on (or sleep on)
- local cherubers with floor space
- exciting evening entertainment
- close to the modal centre of Cherub Sailors

Debi_Gibson

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 02:34:09 PM »
Can we have less at Weston!
I like the place but our open and the Easter Regatta is enough.
The rest of the south coast has venues too.

To be fair we, as a class, only organise to have one event at Weston. As this is one of the few clubs in the country actually willing to put on an event for us, I suggest we keep it up.

The other 2 events at Weston, the Grand Slam and the Skiff Regatta are handicap events that just so happen to be well attended by Cherubs. And this is another reason to have events at Weston because they always get a good turnout.

Couple this with:
- friendly club
- big, open, flat-ish, not too tidal piece of water
- wward/lward courses
- big grassy patch of grass to rig on (or sleep on)
- local cherubers with floor space
- exciting evening entertainment
- close to the modal centre of Cherub Sailors

Thats all well and good, and get what your saying....I think people were just saying that they think we should make more of an effort to go to different clubs, rather than doing loads of events at weston

Which is fine for those further south, but gets expensive for others after a while...but also, just to mix it up abit, and poss attract more people to the class by going to different places. It works both ways, if clubs see all we ever do is go to weston they arent going to go out of there way to put an event on for us, the class needs to build relationships with other clubs as well as weston.

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 06:17:05 AM »
So what are you saying? That the class should give up the event it organises at Weston every year? Or that people should stop going to the Grand Slam and Skiff Regatta?

roland_trim

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 11:00:20 AM »
Neither. The open there was fantastic and the other two are great events Slippy's plan is to be at all three next year. As such I'd like to see all 3 in the diary, but only one in a "travelers series" and booked not to clash.

So what are you saying? That the class should give up the event it organises at Weston every year? Or that people should stop going to the Grand Slam and Skiff Regatta?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:30:52 PM by Born Slippy »

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 01:00:07 PM »
I agree with your position Roland.
Weston is a great place to sail but there are other venues in the country near to some cherubers that we should try to include.

I vote in favour of keeping our open because it is a good event where we get class racing alongside similar speed classes and it is relatively straight forward to maintain a regular fixture.

By including other events we increase awareness of the class, provide some boats with a more local event and other sailors with greater variety of sailing venues.

Many classes have a traveler's circuit and other events and I would support trying this concept in our class. I'm sure Stu will put together a great fixtures programme for 2009 and we should support his efforts when asked for.

Debi_Gibson

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 05:13:32 PM »

I think you have completely misunderstood what I've written there......

And as Roland said, Neither......

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »
How many events should a travelers series have? 2 day events or one day? Rather than just saying 'less at Weston', maybe give some ideas as to where we should have these events.

I think we should have 'premier' and 'secondary' events. This is what the IC's do. Premier events are where it's our open meeting (weather shared or not) and these would count to the travelers series. Secondary events are open handicap events such as the Weston Grand Slam and the Skiff Open where you can expect other Cherubs to turn up. The nationals would be a 'premier' event but would not count towards the travelers obviously.

Maybe we should have a prize for the boat that turns up to the most events, wether premier or secondary. This would encorage more people to go to events! Something good like a custom fit harness. They would deserve it for the dedication. They'll probobly need it after all the hardcore Cherubing they would be doing!

PS, we should call the travelers series the 'Nomad series'. It sounds so much better  ;D

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 11:37:47 PM by ross_burkin »
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2008, 03:50:17 PM »

Keilder is an excellent event and great club, it would get my vote for next year, I also enjoyed Sunderland this year, although I would like to sail a bit more if we went back.

The Cumbraes Regatta on the August bank holiday up at Largs is great fun, including the round Cumbraes race on the Sunday
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Debi_Gibson

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2008, 04:29:58 PM »

Maybe we should have a prize for the boat that turns up to the most events, wether premier or secondary. This would encorage more people to go to events! Something good like a custom fit harness. They would deserve it for the dedication. They'll probobly need it after all the hardcore Cherubing they would be doing!

PS, we should call the travelers series the 'Nomad series'. It sounds so much better  ;D

Chill and wait and see what stu has planned :) ....he would prob reply himself, but he has a kitchen ceiling to put up :)

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 06:29:40 PM »
I'm just confused by "less events at Weston". Which of the 3 events at Weston would you like to give up?

Anyway, point passed. Don't worry about it.

Debi_Gibson

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 08:17:10 AM »
I'm just confused by "less events at Weston". Which of the 3 events at Weston would you like to give up?

Anyway, point passed. Don't worry about it.

No one is saying give up events Stu, you really arent reading whats been written correctly.....just saying that we need to have other events else where around the country to the same profile as events at Weston, hence Hoppys travellers series idea etc to get the fleet to some different places.

And as outlined have our one main event at Weston down as an event "to count", doesnt stop people going to the other  weston events at all. Think some people just want more of a range of locations for events.

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »
"Less events at Weston" could hardly be any more unambiguous.

Offline peter_barton

• Apprentice Guru
    • www.skifftastic.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 12:27:43 AM »
I like the sound of a 'primary' travellers series. Suggest not too many events, 4-5?, so that people can prioritise & therefore better turnout at each event. Other events can be 'secondary' - ie. recommended for a gathering of Cherubers.

One thought I had this year was that many of the venues were on the outer perifiterole reaches of the Cherub population, easy for some but not most. A few more central locations would make it a more maneageable drive for everybody. Eg; Draycote, Farmoor, Datchet, Queen Mary, Chew, Grafham. Event sharing is the way in - and fun for meeting the other classes too.

I agree one series event at Weston and the EasterGS & Skiff open can be Cherub 'secondary' extras. On the secondary list I would recommend Bloody Mary QM Jan, Tiger Trophy Rutland Feb, Glyn Charles Pursuit Hayling May, Lord Birkett Ullswater July. They are all good big events to show our classs off at and the handicap events (as opposed to pursuit) will help us produce an official class PY.

Offline dean_ralph

• Former_Member
  • Newb
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 06:41:33 PM »
I was at IOSSC at the weekend and spoke to some of the members there, who said they might be able to
join a cherub event with an osprey event to get the numbers.
With regards to weston I would like to still have a cherun open there and if I can make the other open events there even better.