Author Topic: Cherub blast this Autumn at Queen Mary SC 12/13th October  (Read 5987 times)

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
Cherub blast this Autumn at Queen Mary SC 12/13th October
« on: September 03, 2019, 01:06:37 PM »
I've been looking into a cherub blast.  My current suggestion is that we just turn up and pay the day sailing fee. I'm thinking 12th & 13th October  either at draycote or at queen mary. What are peoples feelings on this?

A suggestion from queen Mary was to blast on 14th September and then compete in their club championships on the 15th September,  although this may be short notice
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 04:16:39 PM by andy_peters »
If in doubt flat out

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Cherub blast
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 01:12:30 PM »
We can host on 12/13 October at QM as there isn't any open etc on that weekend.   Also 14/15 September if people want to turn up for our club champs on the 15th.  They are open to non-members this year and we are intending to sail the Cherub in them.  I'm sure we could join the 2 club races on 13th October (W/L course) if we wanted an informal race that weekend

However be aware the Club Champs is one general H'cap start and a rotation of a triangle, W/L and a trapezoid course. 

Please post here if you are interested in attending either weekend at QM - the club are OK with it I will just warn Jill who has to shop for your breakfast  ;D

If the fleet prefers Draycote I won't be upset....... but I'm sure you would be able to leave your boat at QM between October 13/14th and our Inlands at the start of Nov.

Ronin and Usagi were both out at QM last weekend - Ronin the past 3 weekends.  Chili is threatening to make an appearance but has yet to get wet in company.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:26:38 PM by andy_peters »

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Cherub blast this Autumn
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 03:21:34 PM »
Well up for a blast!
In the calendar and looking forward to it.
Thanks
Jamie

Offline Jimmy Rudd

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 09:11:21 AM »
Yasssss!! Well up for this! Happy with either destination.
Jimmy
EJ 3206

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »
club opens at 0900, if we start arriving around 0930 this should give us plenty of sailing time before the water shuts at 17.30
If in doubt flat out

Offline Pj562

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 10:55:29 AM »
Is there a rib available? I can probably hop (quite literally) over and act as photo boat, if anyone is interested in some Cherub vanity?

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 11:24:50 AM »
I have asked if we can have a boat for photography but it's a resourcing issue and has had to be referred on.
If in doubt flat out

Offline Pj562

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 02:20:58 PM »
I have asked if we can have a boat for photography but it's a resourcing issue and has had to be referred on.

It was just an idea, no sweat if not.

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 03:32:08 PM »
If its not possible can always wander around the shoreline taking photos
If in doubt flat out

Offline Pj562

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 04:00:58 PM »
I have limited wanderability but safety boat possibly

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 04:10:47 PM »
We'll do what we can, tripod and long lens?
If in doubt flat out

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 04:04:47 PM »

Yes I'm sure we can get you in a rib to take some photos.  Just let me know roughly when you may turn up so I can be found

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Cherub blast this Autumn at Queen Mary SC 12/13th October
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 11:16:33 AM »
Unfortunately Saturday is looking sub-epic and Sunday bearable.  I will come up Sat PM to see if anyone is patient enough to have gone out and we intend to sail Sunday

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
Re: Cherub blast this Autumn at Queen Mary SC 12/13th October
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 10:59:47 PM »
Saturday

Boats started arriving to a slightly damp and grey Queen Mary and a gentle 8 knots of breeze, EJ with Emma and Jimmy, Poppy with Jamie and Georgie, King Tubby with Martyn and Oliver, and The Spanish Inquisition with Harry and ??????. We launched for a pleasant afternoons sailing, initially just familiarising ourselves with our boats again before tracking down a couple of buoys’ on the lake and doing a very short windward leeward where we had to do a minimum of two tacks and gybes. Needless to say our boat handling is now greatly improved. After a few of these we did a little bit of crew swapping between boats and helms swapping with crews to give experiences of different boats and to help crews realise just what helms have to go through, it’s not all just sitting there and pointing the boat in the right direction!!!!. We all came off the water very happy, bid farewell to The Spanish Inquisition, before heading off for a curry and a few drinks.

Sunday

We arrived down at the club to find that whilst it was still raining the wind had increased to a fairly steady 28 knots with gusts exceeding that. Usagi with Andy and Jill and Ronin with Julian and Helen joined us. We all stood bravely on the shore whilst we watched Usagi launched and decided that actually we would rather do some boat tinkering
If in doubt flat out