Author Topic: Open Meeting 5 Weymouth Regatta 13/14th July  (Read 4387 times)

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
Open Meeting 5 Weymouth Regatta 13/14th July
« on: June 03, 2019, 03:01:46 PM »
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 05:33:19 PM by andy_peters »
If in doubt flat out

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Weymouth regatta
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 03:53:34 PM »
Poppy in, just need a crew.
Thanks
Jamie

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Open Meeting 5 Weymouth Regatta 13/14th July
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 05:38:21 PM »
Usagi entered complete with crew.  Poor Jill she can't escape :)

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 12:44:20 PM »
King Tubby is in
If in doubt flat out

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 11:14:16 PM »
Marmite’s entered

Offline Jimmy Rudd

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 08:29:49 PM »
EJ entered!
Jimmy
EJ 3206

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 09:37:25 PM »
The forecast is looking good for this weekend.  I highly recommend going to this one if it the only Cherub open you do this year you won't regret it.   If you have any issues entering let me know - I have the ear of the organiser and he promised to get in any late Cherub entries.

Evening catering on Saturday - from the organiser

Saturday evening we have a catering team in place to provide an evening meal. This year we have Lasange and salad available at £2.50 per head with an optional desert for an extra £1.50. If you could let me know in advance I can give the caterers a bit of warning.  Tickets will be available at registration.

I suggest we do this and if it fails to completely hit the spot we can make a plan on the hoof for further sustenance.

We plan to arrive early afternoon Friday for a sail and some chilled wine on the balcony afterwards.  We have a booking at 8pm Friday at the Crab House Cafe.  If anyone fancies joining us PM me and I'll see it i can alter the booking.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:44:10 PM by andy_peters »

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 09:19:28 AM »
Cherub open - Weymouth 13/14 July 2019

Yes bae!
Day one was a day of three halves…
The fleet was sent out into the bay in hope of catching some breeze and was greeted with flat water and no wind. After a brief postponement, racing got underway. EJ had a late start as she was stuck in irons with ten seconds to go until the start. Poppy finding gears, and Marmite and Usagi both fighting for first place with King Tubby left behind looking at bums. After a becalmed kite run the wind picked up, a very small amount, for the second race. Marmite and Usagi have a close start, fighting to keep their lanes. Poppy takes the pin end of the line hoping for clear air, taking the right side up the beat, neck and neck with Usagi for much of the leg. Poppy reaches the top mark first, closely followed behind Usage and Marmite. Poppy keeps her lead for 1.5 laps but unfortunately decapitates an enormous Jellyfish at the bottom mark, resulting in a near capsize! Both Marmite and Usage overtake and Poppy settles for third.
Race three, the sea breeze kicks in and all boats have the best starts of the day, Poppy out back as her main sail batten pops out of the luff on the first beat and EJ has trouble with ….. something ...... which forces her to retire and head in early, beating the rush for the showers.
At the end of day one, Usagi sits in first place, with Marmite one point behind, poppy third, EJ in fourth and King Tubby fifth.
The sailors were greeted with a well deserved lasagne back at the club, followed by a fleet trip to dominos.

Day two brought us more wind, only a little bit more. Racing commenced in the harbour bright and early. Poppy begun the day with an impressive port hand flyer above the rest of the fleet with Usagi and Marmite chasing hard on starboard. It was close racing for the top three to the windward mark. Poppy was going very well when pointing in the right direction, but not far behind marmite and usage for most of the race. EJ didn’t manage to start due to poor execution of kite rigging, but was well prepared for race five. EJ finally showed up with a decent start for race five and was quick but in the wrong direction! There was a loud bang as Marmite’s clew strap came undone, poppy took her chance to overtake and push for second, however once fixed, marmite quickly caught up to regain their place in front of Poppy. Everyone with current rules met up at the bottom mark of the first lap in hope for a fleet photo! After a shifty second beat Usagi was comfortably in first place with Marmite in second. For the final race, Poppy, again, takes a port start at the committee boat to get into the fresh breeze. Close racing for much of the duration of the race with a near miss between Usagi and Poppy as both boats narrowly avoid a collision close to the bottom mark due to not being able to see each other, otherwise much of the same.

Overall results:
Andy Peters’ Usagi 1st
Paul croote’s Marmite 2nd
Jamie Pearson’s Poppy 3rd
Martyn Denchfield’s King Tubby 4th
Jimmy Ruddiman’s EJ 5th

———
Still achey, but still smiling!
Report written by Georgie while on a train. Let me know if anything needs changing.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:58:39 PM by JP233 »
Thanks
Jamie