Author Topic: That first sail smile  (Read 4050 times)

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
That first sail smile
« on: February 24, 2019, 11:18:34 PM »
Yesterday I added water to the curvy red garden feature that has been sat at Pearson Engineering for a few months.
Which most of you will know as, Cherub 3216, Poppy.

Dave Ching and I made the long, long (it really was long) journey to Monaco in September to see Roland and the family. Also so I could pick up poppy. Since then I’ve been bevering away on her

Thoughts: perfection is an endless task to search for. But she’s bloody close!
The wind was 8-12 knots 15 at most in the gusts.

My crew was a musto/300 sailor weighing 80kg and me,proficient in front crawl weighing 65kg.
Southerly winds meant the first port of call was the kite system. Up it went. Smooth as hell(thanks mummy for making a kite sock)
T foil system was next. Currently running a modified Roland set up. With only a 3:1, it was a bit aggressive. 25mm of rope pull resulted in 35mm of trim adjustment. Made me laugh.
Found a sweet spot and off we went for a few hours.

I’m impressed with how smooth she was. Shiny takes a few seconds to get going (you have to convince her it’s worth her while.) Poppy just seemed to...go.

Corners: I might need to make a kickbar or two.

Rig: rake seems ok. But with 140kg onboard. I was surprised to be twinning. Maybe the lowers were too tight (if that’s a thing)

Small list of adjustments to make this week, hopefully round 2 will happen next weekend.

Question.
How does one decide on the caps tension?
I didn’t get a chance to look at the mast flicking, not sure it was. But it was 12 knots.

Really happy to have got sailing again, an excellent day all in all.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:32:10 PM by JP233 »
Thanks
Jamie

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
Re: That first sail smile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 10:16:38 PM »
Allways a good feeling getting out on the water in a new boat. For the caps I recon that the leeward one should just start to go loose when you are just fully powered.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 03:22:52 PM »
Thanks Phil, a wealth of knowledge as always.
I think we agree. I cranked on the controls with boat on her side, sails up etc., then took the slack out of the caps and re tied ‘loosely’.
Forecast for the weekend might not be the best for test sail 2.

Watch this space.
Thanks
Jamie

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 12:27:48 PM »
Second sail smile, more of a grimace. Managed to convince my old feva helm to come and play. He hasn’t stepped foot in a dinghy for 7 years. Wind was 12-18 but due to build at 1400 to 20+ Knots

Got him settled and did a few laps of the lake. The kite 90deg up mast block attachment came unstuck again. And block came off the deck eye.
After aiming for home we fluffed a tack, after recovery we aimed again, for home. This time the t foil had for a tangle so as we went faster. It pulled more and more on. Resulting in a cannonball effect (see video.)
After many more swims we made it to shore. Lot learnt and how the E6 doesn’t like not sailing...

https://youtu.be/pNaZyNNDyFc
Thanks
Jamie