Author Topic: Sticky weekend  (Read 9480 times)

Offline Pj562

• Newb
Re: Sticky weekend
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 06:50:00 PM »
Since I'm kicking around the area at that time, I have a few beds around 20mins from Paul's workshop if anyone needs one, conveniently located next to a sailing club for anyone needing to test out bits and pieces on the water.

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 09:28:31 AM »
Finalising my plans;
Will probably involve something with the daggerboard moulds, either a new skin under guidance or fitting some kind of core to it.
I’ve got a mast I’d like some help/space to glue it together properly and spreaders (need to find some Sicomin 8200 I believe)

Then I’d really like someone to measure Poppy (official or not)  so I have a clear conscience, seems like the best place so it doesn’t stop any sailing.
Just bought some 8200 yesterday if you still need some. I have some laser levels that make measuring very accurate.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:54:07 AM by paul_croote »

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 09:00:09 PM »
Finalising my plans;
Will probably involve something with the daggerboard moulds, either a new skin under guidance or fitting some kind of core to it.
I’ve got a mast I’d like some help/space to glue it together properly and spreaders (need to find some Sicomin 8200 I believe)

Then I’d really like someone to measure Poppy (official or not)  so I have a clear conscience, seems like the best place so it doesn’t stop any sailing.
Just bought some 8200 yesterday if you still need some. I have some laser levels that make measuring very accurate.

Yes please Paul! Got the new tips for poppy me EJ last week. So much carbon goodness!!
Thanks
Jamie

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 12:59:01 PM »
Has anyone got the boom mandrel?
If in doubt flat out

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 09:40:21 AM »
Has anyone got the boom mandrel?
I have a boom? - could maybe sort something out - drop me a message on here or Facebook if you want to talk through options/details
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 09:09:36 AM »
New boom mandrel ready, projects to date are: a mast repair, a mast track replacement, a centreboard manufacture using infusion, and a boom manufacture. It’s running from 9.30am Saturday to late Sunday afternoon with the curry house booked for 8pm the Saturday evening. There is still plenty of room for anyone else planning to attend. Please let me know if there are any other projects. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:13:50 AM by paul_croote »

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 03:10:31 PM »
Well that went quickly! I will start with a thank you to Paul for the use of his workshop, time and effort for the weekend. Also his wife for letting him us borrow him.
Thanks also go to Martyn, Andrew and Digby, I do feel a bit guilty that most of the projects were mine, somthanks for getting them done!

Myself and Martyn met Paul at his workshop and started to clear it, forklift, Marmite, goods trailer and an RS feva were parked outside. Unloaded poppy from the box trailer and started to unload the Volvo. Digby then turned up on his new motor bike. (Very loud.(both him and the bike))
Quite the collection of toys!

Sticking with toys, on the saying ‘he who dies with the most toys, wins’ based on his workshop alone, Paul is winning. Very jealous.

So what did we do?
Digby and Whapshott started the layup of the daggerboard mould I acquired, recipie coming soon.
Paul, martyn and me discussed how to fix my tip. I ordered a new ctech tip as the current one had been written off before... naughty naughty.
Out came the buzz saw and off the old one came. With some careful sawing the male joint of the mast was expose from under the old tip.

Post lunch we tested the vacuum for the board infusion on side 1.
With that done the second board was layed up and tested.

Paul and I searched for the radius of marmite jib tack to make a mould. After lots of head scratching, the actual work of making the mould was 90% done in 20min. Grr! Wish I had a workshop!!

Martyne primed the new boom mandrel and cut his cloth. After working out what the actual recipie was.... the big stick began.

Starting with the infusion, both boards were done within about 20min, for which we all stood around gawping at it.
Wet layup of the boom took about 30-45min but was far more messy!
The excess resin was then mixed with additives to make bog and I stole it to fix my new tip in place.
Paul broke out the lasers (yes, lasers!) to make sure the mast was straight. Attention was made so that the taper did not affect rake at the top of the mast.

Day 1 done. Curry time.

Day 2 was a more somber affair. We had pretty much worn ourselves out with day 1.
We started with an argument between a boom, a mandrel, a container and a forklift.
After some diplomatic persuasion it was off and 2500mm of carbon oval section weighed in at 2.5kgs.
Track was then stuck on Poppy’s mast and Marmites where some had started to crack.
The boards were still curing as we used slow hardener (oops). One did eventually go off after some cooking and we popper it out. You will have to wait to see photos. But it is pretty cool!

Thanks to all who turned up, photos will be uploaded somewhere... once again, a brilliant weekend with friends making stuff to do with boats.
I’m fully knackered!
Thanks
Jamie