Author Topic: Winter jobs 2017/18  (Read 13015 times)

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Winter jobs 2017/18
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 03:18:53 PM »
This winter I need to turn this, and some other stuff into a boat.

Phil you tease!
Can we know anything more about what you're doing?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:30:36 PM by JP233 »
Thanks
Jamie

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 09:21:39 PM »
This winter I need to turn this, and some other stuff into a boat.

Phil you tease!
Can we know anything more about what you're doing?

I am building an Everest 1, I have started a new thread, which I hope to keep updated with progress, and probably a few questions.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 05:41:09 PM »
Focusing on the positives. Still a long way to go but I’ve doubled my done list.

Order new white sails - done
Reinforce stump arms - done

Finally got round to do something. Reinforced my stump arm, internal and external repair of my snout are now curing. Hopefully next week I can trim a new bulkhead out of some 6mm plate.
Then it gets difficult; i then need to fry fit it, measure my mast tip to pole end to be the correct length yet still have a horizontal or upwards sloping pole. (yes this will affect the sheeting position of the kite, but i never set it up for the lenon kite in the first place so its probably been wrong all along)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:12:29 PM by JP233 »
Thanks
Jamie

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 09:38:19 PM »
Things are shaping up in Chateaux Williamson.

The I14 parked behind shiny has this adj caps system, I need to be wary (as I found out in a previous thread) as to wether the caps will 'swing' side to side. Can someone clever (Phil A?) tell me if there is a way to test without putting the sails up?

I plan to have a sailable boat by next weekend. (I'm fully aware plans never work out)
Bulk head bogged in on Friday, bit of Carbon added on Saturday morning, test Sunday, deck on.
Then it will be a case of prettying things up and a slap of paint.
Thanks
Jamie

roland_trim

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 09:25:48 AM »
I need to be wary (as I found out in a previous thread) as to wether the caps will 'swing' side to side.

Not as clever as Phil, But as the root of the cascade on each side is rooted to the mast and only the tail is suspended to swing - should be OK - I'd not object to seeing that on EJ

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 11:40:04 AM »
 [quote/]I'd not object to seeing that on EJ [/quote]

Oi! It’s mine! :D thank you Mr Trim!
But yes that was my thinking. Caps go so side of mast, even if the cascade does swing, it’s got a 3:1 to get through.

I’m sure jay will be watching from the other side of the garage and making notes.
Thanks
Jamie

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 01:28:03 PM »
Not sure if I am that clever. But I think it will swing from side to side, although as Roland points out this is reduced by the 3:1 purchace.

You could try moving the double block from side to side and see how much the tip of the mast moves.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline JayW

• Wanabe Guru
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 11:31:20 PM »
Some progress and a setback this weekend:
EJ's repositioned gantry bolts are in place, back in the conventional position on the transom.
The caps adjustment system has been mocked up on Shiny, and the cleats for it are in place on the struts. Similar to follow on EJ.
Shiny's nose job has advanced to the stage where the deck is back on over where the bulkhead is now secure, with a bigger hole allowing so much extension that Shiny can take the longer pole that Jamie needs - see earlier post.
Speaking of which, regular readers will remember that we have been making one of those...  On the basis of 'test it before committing more time and materials' we did just that - and it failed: too many dry patches. Hypothesis at the moment is a combination of air leaks through the plastic film covering the mandrel , and the resin feed tube too big (so the vacuum didn't need to pull the resin through the cloth). So we will start on another one next weekend!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:07:41 AM by JayW »

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 03:27:00 PM »
Shiny needs the re added deck sanding then painting.
In the mean time, I'm wanting to move my jib cleat position from the floor (centre) to on the cockpit bulkhead bit.
Reaasons: with the temple vang the centre front of the deck is a little crowded. Also the kite sock makes for cleating off on port a bit of a pain.

Solution:
Move cleat to the cockpit bulkhead, similar position to where ronin had hers way back when. See pic:
Grey (?) =cleat, black = through deck block, red = jib sheet.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 09:27:01 PM by JP233 »
Thanks
Jamie

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2018, 09:39:03 PM »
Another good yet showery weekend in the midlands. With some hail and snow too!

EJ: jay continued to tidy up parts of EJ. Lots of filler over the top of the pink paint still showing through.
Still waiting for rear wing bars.

Shiny.
Rigged up a kite system, then moved in to the jib.
Originally the system was very heavy (lots of friction) I added more purchase over the years.
Then moved to the sheet across the track set up which doubled my purchase. So for about a year I’ve been sailing with a 6:1 jib, lots of rope, but lovely....
So I’ve cut that back to a 4:1 with the jib cleat about to be set up on the bulkhead.

I’ve nearly faired all of the damage from Whapshott. Will need a final layer of filler next time and the some paint.
Now finalising he caps system and putting an order in to pin bax.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:16:28 AM by JP233 »
Thanks
Jamie

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 05:31:31 PM »
Wooohoooo!
I flopped a pole of Croote’s wooden stick today
Friday night I had jay helping with the first layer of weave and all 12 strips of uni all done wet layup.
Saturday I added the biax local reinforcement and the final layer of weave (thanks Dave Ching for the tips of doing this solo)
Sunday I held a tug of war contest between two Peugeot 106’s, resulting in shiny having a 2500mm if extended pole (more behind in the snout)

I’ve also rigged up my caps system, I need more blocks and thinner rope but it works!

Shiny passed holding full rig tension for a few hours, wasn’t sure if the foredeck would just fold up, and all my bits to be painted have been faired with wet and dry (no primer so will be left for next time.)
Thanks
Jamie

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2018, 05:37:19 PM »
Pole is so big it needs its own comment.
Thanks
Jamie

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 07:03:05 AM »
So far chilli has had a really spray ( paint nearly 300 but I have enough for an open meeting fleet and a compressor 60). Bank wing bars supports stiffened. Mast tip stiffened and I'm replacing blocks and control lines. I've added 2 hatches and found and repaired the leak. Oh I have replaced the crash box and I will touch up the foils. Later in the year I may replace the jib track.

roland_trim

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 12:29:21 PM »
Born Slippy blew a shroud plate in june.

Fixed and ready for 20knots forecast for 28th December. Wind did not appear, work called and it rained. Boat filled with water, rolled down the hill and filled up - all resting against the back wing bars.

For the first time in many years - I have a boat in my sitting room

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 09:14:00 PM »
Aaaaaaarrgghhhh!! That doesn't look too healthy. I'm sure Monaco Vert Marine can sort it out though.