Author Topic: Filey regatta  (Read 4030 times)

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
Filey regatta
« on: February 05, 2017, 12:56:36 PM »
I was wondering if anyone fancied a trip north to the seaside for filey regatta, it's the 17th and 18th of June

https://www.facebook.com/events/1240370102705347/?ti=cl

If in doubt flat out

Offline RobinJones

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
Re: Filey regatta
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 10:02:12 PM »
I'm probably up for going - will depend on forecast though, as Filey can be bordering on terrifying with the right conditions.

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 08:06:13 AM »
alittle under 6hours.. if we have a number of cherubs keen then i strongly consider making the trip.
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »
There was a fairly awesome Cherub Open at Filey in the mid-90's. The sailing was excellent with a massive sandy beach to launch off, proper open water racecourse out in the bay and well-run racing by the exceptionally friendly club. But the Saturday night socials were truly epic. The clubhouse had fallen off the cliff into the sea the year before, so they were using a small marquee as a temporary replacement, with a gigantic bonfire out the front to try and keep everyone warm. Beer was not in short supply. How nobody burned to death by the end of the night I'll never know.

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 05:56:43 PM »
A few Cherubs made the trip to Filey some years back. We were treated to howling wind dropping off the the hills around the bay, and only a few brave fools went out. We did have a very smelly game of crazy golf still dressed in our wetsuits while waiting for the wind to drop, and Eddie climbed into the dragons mouth for a photo. That said the club was extremely welcoming and we created a bit of interest on the beach.

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 12:37:03 PM »
I know I was there although with my scorpion, I did wander along the beach after racing on our course was abandoned to have a look at the cherubs and some comedian offered me a ride
If in doubt flat out