Author Topic: 2016 Cherub winter projects  (Read 18470 times)

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
2016 Cherub winter projects
« on: November 10, 2016, 08:56:26 AM »
While the days are colder and events are fewer some cherubs are getting some love and attention.

To help each other with motivation, the opening of wallets and sticky fibers, what projects, improvements or repairs are you or your cherub undergoing this winter?

Ill start off with Madge who has another thread over here: http://www.uk-cherub.org/forum/index.php/topic,2252.0.html- its mainly a strengthening and improvement project,
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
Re: 2016 Cherub winter projects
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 09:57:41 AM »
Shiny is getting a new daggerboard (long) and a new case fitted by her daddy on 'The Island'

While she's away/over Xmas, I have a silly boom idea I hope to make (inbuild temple vang with an internal mainsheet system)
I feel I should finish the half compleated sail projects i have (2 mains and a jib) if I have time.

Hopefully it won't be a cold winter!
Thanks
Jamie

Offline ade white

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
  • no work team
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 08:33:04 PM »
Fuzzy is having the mast moved back 12 cm and 8cm higher from the deck level. The Jib track moved back 18cm. Lowers and D1 attachment to mast and deck beefed up. A bit of 'prodder' adjustment, and the wand attachment finished. Kicker Gnav sorted, Oh and a new jib.
"How hard can it be"
'Sponsor' of "DUCKS"

Offline Clive Everest

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 08:44:50 PM »
Hi Ade,
Why are you moving them back?
I though that you had just moved them forward.
On A+E we are 450mm forward of the previous position which had the mast step 2000mm from the stem.
This position is great for foiling and much better than before in light winds.

Clive
Class Committee

Offline Barbarossa

• Former_Member
  • Newb
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 08:22:17 AM »
Loco needs a general tidy-up.

New luff track, varnish the spars, re-rope and maybe a re-paint. Might look at fitting a gas strut to the rudder stock too.
Loco Perro 2685

Offline Jimmy Rudd

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 09:15:25 AM »
The Squid will be having quite a lot of work this winter, hopefully......
Going to try get the keys to work and use the full height factory, enough room to have the rig up :)

1st up, stumping and a new mast. New mast needs a 2nd set of spreaders and some rigging, but I do have the mast and stump ready.
2nd is fix up my dagger board slot that seems to have punctured the crash box and make her water tight.
3rd is beef up the jib track and backing to take the loads of the larger jib.
4th is hopefully source a t-foil system and fit that.
After that, probably some cosmetic bits and bobs and possibly wheelie bars as I think Squid might be in serious need going down hill in any breeze.

If anyone has any advice for any of the above please do throw it my way.
Cheers
Jimmy
EJ 3206

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 09:24:52 AM »
...an internal mainsheet system
I had an internal (to the boom I presume you mean) mainsheet system back in the day on Halo, but when I had to replace the boom I moved to off the boom sheeting and dropped the internal run in favour of running externally with a cloth sleeve. The big challenge was alignment, specifically associated with getting the exit in the middle lined up with where it went next. It wasn't great with sheeting to a centre turret/jammer, and I never thought of a way of doing that with the angles required for off the boom. The other issue was the size of hole required in the boom for a block that would handle the large diameter sheets that tended to be used. Modern small diameter sheets will be much easier, that part at least.

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 09:39:20 AM »
This thread needs pics! :)

Lots of interesting work happening! and lots of similar goings on.

Ade, will you be changing the main then? since presumably that will mean a bigger jib?

Jimmy, I might be making a T-foil if you want to get in on that? - Daemon foil most likely.

Has anyone got a cheap source of carbon tubes?
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 10:14:18 AM »
Jim-
I plan to go the same route as some 18's and some 14's
See top picture:
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/166080

Rope from crew: though ratchet block, forwards to turning block (going 180 in to the boom)
Down boom to another block *1, 180deg back up to the from where it is tied off.

*1: this block then has a rope that starts on the hull, up to turning block on external of boom, aft to a through deck block, now inside the boom it ties off at the *1 block, mirrored for both sides.

Think here is a video of the kiddles 18 explaining it.

But I may have to have a MASSIVELY LONG boom for this to work!!
Thanks
Jamie

Offline deefender1098

• Alex Harris
  • Committee
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 11:06:54 AM »
we tried reverting Ronin back to this setup at nationals last year, we found that occasionally the rope would spin around itself inside the boom until it effectively jammed the main on leaving us unable to dump the main in 20knt winds..... not ideal so we removed it. i will add though we had the bridleentering the boom as one rope, perhaps the twin rope system Jamie is looking at implementing would solve this.

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 11:10:50 AM »
Mr kiddle said to use swift core(?) apparently it doesn't twist.
Fingers crossed ey :P
Thanks
Jamie

Offline AmusingOutrigger

• Former_Member
  • Newb
    • Carwyn Owen Website
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 06:00:14 PM »
Thought I would throw in what I have planned for Eva (2661) over the winter months.  Firstly a lighter launching trolley as the current one isn't the best fit for the hull shape and seems to be made out of the heaviest material known to man.  Then improving the cockpit floor grip as I am reliably informed by my helm that an ice rink has a higher coefficient of friction than the floor back there does.  Also cutting down the i14 main that came with eva to a more sensible size that allows for people to be in the boat at the same time as the sail is.  Then following madges lead with some sanding down and new paint.  Penultimately the addition of a t-foil rudder and second set of trapeze wires as they were included with the boat.  Finally I need to get the rudder stock for the straight rudder foil repaired / replaced as it was damaged in a recent outing.  So suggestions for repairers to get this done would be very helpful, as I don't time / skills to fix it myself.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:17:48 AM by AmusingOutrigger »
Major Tom -  2661

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »
Shame you dont have time as that looks like an easy fix couple of carbon strips would do it.
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 10:30:38 AM »
made some good progress this weekend on Madge, details can be seen in my thread.

Who else has been working hard on their boats?
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 01:19:30 PM »
Form this from Mr Patterson yesterday.
Eeeek! New toys!!!

P&B finally sent the parts for the boom. Blue foam sanding is coming a long slowly as there is a lot to sand off!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:24:16 PM by JP233 »
Thanks
Jamie