Author Topic: Madges Winter rebuild - GBR 2646  (Read 16625 times)

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
Re: Madges Winter rebuild - GBR 2646
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 10:25:12 PM »
Couple weekends further on and not much to report. lots of shopping and discussions but not much action.

Some more floor panels made.

fresh from the bag

Does anyone know of someone around in the Portsmouth Southampton area who can re-crimp shrouds?
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2017, 01:05:29 PM »
Madge is back from Frensham boat works and Im trying to keep plugging away at things, knowing that Im unlikely to have her finished for another couple months yet.

Spent some time on Saturday between shower spells washing away any left over dirt or carbon and removing excess bog from various bits of the hull skin. Then got stuck into taping the joints with 50mm carbon weave tape which was so nice and easy to use compared to the twill I've been using on the foam.

This was really messy at times, and I was not sure how it was going to come out.

At first glance in the dark it was looking ok.
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 10:26:03 PM »
Wow - Last updates in March and its nearly July now!

OK so spent a few hours on Madge tonight, not allot to report but got a load of prep done, and some bits bogged into place ready for the next steps.

Main thing to report is the first of the floor panels has been cut and sized ready to go in, the support for it on the hull has been bogged on so I should be able to set the floor in maybe as soon as tomorrow.

Hoping to get Madge back and ready for the Nats and in one form or another that should be possible.
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2017, 05:25:16 PM »
Another lovely day to get back into the cherub work, most of the day this time.

First thing I did was cleaning up some of the excess bog which was left over from Thursdays sticking.

This one was from where ive been building up the edges around the carbon tubes to then have more material to bond onto.

These are some floor supports

Then laid up some more uni-tape onto the stump and surrounding areas in an effort to make it stronger.

A few hours later that looked something like this.

The I moved onto wrapping the first of carbon onto the tube reinforcements. This was done with what i think is 300g/m3 weave which I got from Andy (ex -evadexoff)

Again a few hours later the bag was off and it looked more like this:

While that was curing, I moved over to floor pannels again:

Yes it fits!!

Ok so now some supports for that side.

And some other boring bits such as building up some of the snout.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:33:34 PM by kerrgreg »
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline Willperrett

• Probationary
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2018, 11:01:24 AM »
Hi

I was the first owner of Madge Allsop, as she was then known.  White she was originally, with blue and yellow trim (floor, etc.)  She was built originally with a hole for a pole, though we started with a big conventional kite - quickly realised the mistake and rigged a sprit and assymetric.  I seem to remember that she was a polyester boat, which won't have helped the longevity!  Simon Roberts was a good builder in parts - like the curate's egg!  She seemed stiff enough in the first few seasons, but he stuffed a rudder extension on the back made of wood dowling, wrapped in a bit of carbon, which fell off in about the third race of the first series we did: Torquay 1990.  I quote from the report: "Slightly further back Will & Nigel, who had been well placed, were disentangling the remains of a jellyfish from the remains of their rudder gantry, and summoning a rescue boat for a tow home." The Moth replacement gantry did the trick, however.  I think I may have one or two photos of Madge, but they will be on bits of paper, and finding them and scanning the findings is not what I want to do!  I think our best result was 3rd in 1991 at Lee-on-Solent. 

Will Perrett

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2018, 12:44:38 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the insight Will. This is a clear example of why the forum is awesome.

Offline Clive Everest

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2018, 12:51:22 PM »
'This is a clear example of why the forum is awesome.'
Yes.
Nice to know that Ex Cherub sailors never really leave the class.
Class Committee

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2018, 04:33:48 PM »
Hi Will,
Great to hear from you. You were kind enough to look after me and give me a go in your boat at my first ever Cherub event - a training weekend at Lee-on-Solent in April 1991. I was on a short student attachment on the IoW at the time  and you picked me up off the ferry iirc. I remember Madge looking like a real state of the art racing machine. It turned into a fairly epic weekend of sailing and wild antics with Biffa and all the boys. I was hooked on the class after that! So, many thanks for your kindness back then and glad to hear you're still to the fore.
I too value the forum in a big way, even though I haven't sailed a Cherub for  a few years. It's a real asset to the class.
Neil C.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:57:39 AM by Neil C. »

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »
Wow awesome little step into history there. Thanks Will

Sadly Madge isn't really developing at all this year and needs to really find some more love - if someone is keen to take her on then Id be open to any interested parties.

Otherwise I'll do my best to get her back sailing.
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline Princey

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2018, 03:50:53 PM »
Hi Will,
I remember those Champs at Torbay well, especially the jellyfish!! And Mr Everest's radical looking Moth!! If my memory is correct, prior to Madge you owned the varnished Iain Murray boat was it 2609?? For the youngsters on here that was a good looking boat way before anyone had seen clearcoat carbon!!
The Forum is awesome for us ex-cherub sailors keen to keep up with what's going on in the class.
Andy

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2018, 01:43:46 PM »
So the time has come...

Im at the point of letting this go to a new home or breaking it for parts. Everything anyone would need to make a 05's or 97's boat from this project is listed up in the classifieds https://www.uk-cherub.org/forum/index.php/topic,2371.0.html

Thanks!
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646