Author Topic: Madges Winter rebuild - GBR 2646  (Read 16468 times)

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Madges Winter rebuild - GBR 2646
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 07:51:32 AM »
The Cod Fathers are excellent. I also had some 'Carp Thief' ones which were good.

As a basic rule, go into your local fishing shop and buy the one with the best name!

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 02:24:31 PM »
Thanks Chaps, ill see what I can find.

In the mean time here is a picture from the nationals this year showing how parts of Madge looked while on the water.

Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline Clive Everest

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
It is always fun to roll Marmite.
Class Committee

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 06:31:19 PM »
It is always fun to roll Marmite.

I much prefer a cheese roll.
Thanks
Jamie

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 07:37:54 AM »
If I were to have a roll choice, it was would be Marmite and Cheese, before bedtime. No one wants to wake up hungry.

Offline flatbackcaper

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 08:09:38 PM »
Are you still looking  for  tiller  extentions  have 2 going  free bottom section of carp rods 1.7m long

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 07:55:49 PM »
Are you still looking  for  tiller  extensions  have 2 going  free bottom section of carp rods 1.7m long
Yes! where abouts are you?
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 11:33:08 AM »
I  managed to get some work done over the last weekend and also bought some covers for Madge which I test fitted.

First one was an RS200 undercover which seems to fit the Bistro really well, only bit that really needs adjusting is the bow to fit around the snout.

Next up was to continue with removing sections of the floor to replace and strength the bulkheads. Ive been strongly considering stumping and framing the boat to help with the strengthening process. also putting a center-line structure in the bow to help keep the bow from folding up or twisting.

Ive been trying to trim up and tidy as much of it as possible but there is still alot of work to do and until Ive arranged finalized the stump Im not sure how things will be finished.
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 05:46:38 PM »
This weekend Madge visited Frensham boat works, cut out all the old bow bulk heads and started creating new ones which will help support the loads in the future. picture is version one of a centre line bulkhead and then add a couple more supporting pieces to build it out. That will be vacum bagged with carbon and bonded in.

Also measured up the bow to stern length and found that Madge is a little short so there is some water line length to be added, this seems to be common on the bistros and rumour is that this was due to a rule change around metric from imperial conversion.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:22:18 PM by kerrgreg »
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 09:50:58 PM »
Correct. The rule used to be max length 12 feet. This was changed to max length 3.7m as part of the '97 Rules set, to make things easier to calculate for modern day builders. That's why you will find a small wedge added to the transom of a lot of '91 Rules boats like the Bistro's. Dave Roe calculated that the extra waterline length would add enough extra speed to gain you something like 50m iirc in the course of an average 1 hour race.

Offline JayW

• Wanabe Guru
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2017, 09:19:41 AM »
Some great ideas on show here:
- basin for hand washing when sailing in dodgy water
- butter in case the non-slip is a bit too effective, and
- cling film as a low-cost undercover.

Why didn't I think of that?

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 09:26:47 PM »
Why didn't I think of that?

A happy crew is a happy crew!
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 09:37:14 PM »
Another day of sticking over the weekend and here are the results.

One white cloth vacuum bagged a day later turned into this!

and abit of upcycling here to reuse some off cuts and provide some additional support in the mast foot area, the idea here is to help brace the sub-deck level around the mast foot loads and with the box bulkhead which will run in line with the bow it should help support the bananna'ing that its been doing recently. It hopefully also will help take the load from mast compression so all that is not directly placed onto the centreboard casing as it currently is.

Its amazing how much time is consumed by prep work and waiting for things to cure. Hoping to speed up progress but at this point not sure when the boat will be back on the water.
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 09:30:15 PM »
Another day spent in Frensham boat works means more pictures for the mad house.

Horizontal bulkhead trimmed down to size, roughly, and bogged into place, this runs under the kite pole and up over the current centerline bulkhead, the idea being here to provide strength down the bow to prevent the current banana effect and by overlaping both the pole tube and the stump/mastfoot area the strengthing will help to support all these areas to prevent flex.

This was my first big attempt at filleting bog and once set I plan to lay carbon tape over these joins to provide a bigger bonding surface. there likely will be allot of overlap here and onto the middle main bulkhead as I plan to carbon wrap that also to help preserve it for years to come, and obviously keeping it strong too. 

At the bow end the bulkehead goes under the current pole tube arrangement, its a sung fit so the pole shouldn't collapse onto the bulkhead and in turn hopefully this will help hold the bow end together with the center-line panel. I upcycled a couple other bits I had lying around to provide lateral support up front and left the bottom open to allow any leaks to run out (hoping this isnt the case) this also helped to ensure that everything was true or at least close to that.

Finally here is the overall shot, lots of extra material here to trim down where required since the top of the bow tank is not finalised.
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 12:05:06 PM »
Couple more updates over the last couple weeks, not a huge amount has been happening, but things are making progress.

I tried my hand at going solo on making some floor panels, these were 10mm Gruit PVC foam with a layer of 200g 3K Twill weave on each side. Vacuum bagged to a glass table about the size of the foam sheet which was a massive pain in the arse to seal.

All bagged up

The result.

Knocked up a couple messy looking 90deg supports to help with fitment.

tried that wrapped in electrical tape, but sellotape works much better for not sticking to the product.
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646