Author Topic: Pole launching  (Read 3369 times)

Offline AJP

• Newb
Pole launching
« on: August 29, 2016, 08:42:40 PM »
Hi , on a boat with a tube to take the pole (as opposed to an open foredeck) how is the pole launched? Is it just the pull of the kite that pulls the pole out and in or some other system? Open foredeck boats use an extra couple of blocks and line to launch the pole before the kite, but it wouldn't obviously work inside a tube.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
Re: Pole launching
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 10:22:04 PM »
Have a look at this article.

http://www.uk-cherub.org/doku.php/tech/running_rigging

However I think its getting rather out of date in places, is it worth someone updating it? I think much of it is still basically what I wrote in about 1995, and we know a lot now we didn't know then.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:24:10 PM by JimC »

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 09:55:50 AM »
Ours on Madge (closed foredeck) we use a single string system just like the open foredeck boats.

Not sure if I can remember exactly but it goes something like:

Haylard cleat -> to a back to back block (one side goes to the bulkhead or bow) the other side goes the end of the pole to pull it out as the haylard tightens. At least thats how I remember it working...
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:51:57 PM »
This sounds like shinys old system.
I have a whole in the bulkhead for the pole to get through, but gravity isn't helpful, in fact, it is less than helpful in this situation.
Anyway, I had a one line system where the pole launch was also the tack line.
It's exactly as Greg says, starting at the back;
Through cleat, up to piggy back block - doubkes back to up the mast.
The other side goes forward to the turning block
Then back to the pole. The pole needs a deck block on it that this rope goes through. After the block (inside the pole) is a knot.
The rest of the rope goes up the pole and attached to the kite.

When the system is pulled, piggy back block get pulled back, pulling the kite tack forwards to where the knot hits the pole, pulling that forwards.

For the drop, the kite being pulled back in pulls the pole in.
Thanks
Jamie

Offline RobinJones

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 05:26:40 PM »
I suspect AJP means a boat where the pole has full length, well fitting launch tube, where there isn't space for a pole out string to tie to the pole/any blocks to attach to the pole.

I think older B14's have something like this, so it could be worth finding and lookinga t one of them. And this thread could be useful:   http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5337&PN=1&title=retractable-bowsprit-asymmetric-spinnaker

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 12:59:59 PM »
if thats the case then you need a through-deck block attached to the launch tube about a  foot back from the setm. You also need a hole in the launch tube under the block to let the rop in. The launch rope goes up the outside of the launch tube, through the block and the hole and then back to the heel of the pole. Pull the rope, out goes the pole, but only until the heel is about a foot back from the stem.

I've only ever seen one bot like this. Would like to see a pic.