Author Topic: Squid Pro Quo  (Read 8699 times)

Offline Jimmy Rudd

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
Squid Pro Quo
« on: December 14, 2015, 08:31:05 PM »
Good evening Cherub people,

My name is James though commonly Jimmy and I have just bought Squid Pro Quo form Rob Kennaugh. Ive sailed Cherubs a couple of times, and loved it every time, but uni meant I couldn't quite stretch to owning one, however now I'm looking forward to hitting the water in Squid. I'm based in West Yorkshire, and will be sailing at Glossop SC, but know the guys at Draycote and will probably be spending a fair amount of time there.
She's in ok condition and myself, Jamie, and Robin spent this weekend replacing, fixing and generally getting her sorted, hopefully getting her on the water next weekend.
If anyone knows any history or info about this very flat bottomed beastie Id love to know.
Whilst ropes, blocks and elastic are fairly easy to sort out, a jib track is not so much, so if anyone has a spare jib track floating about Id like to buy it to get her on the water.
Planning to do the nationals, and hopefully some events so I'll see you all on the water.

Cheers
Jimmy
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:42:11 PM by JP233 »
Jimmy
EJ 3206

Offline HighwaytoHelm

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
Re: Squid Pro Quo
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 09:42:22 PM »
Great to see another boat back on the water! Can't help on the jib track front I'm afraid, strangely doesn't have a self tacker. What size rig does squid have on her?

Offline Jimmy Rudd

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 10:12:15 PM »
Yeh really good to get some of the older boats on the water. Shes a 97 rules rig, but with twin traps. Ovetime will upgrade to an 05 and T foil, but just want some old skool blasting for now, tbh 97 is the best for that.
Jimmy
EJ 3206

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 11:20:38 PM »
The Squid is a great boat. It was designed and built by Mike Rolf to the '97 Rules in about 1998/9ish. This was the same era of design evolution as the Slugs, and many of those boats are still highly competitive today. Mike was a really nice guy as well as being seriously intelligent - if I recall correctly he was doing a mathematics degree at Oxford at the time. The Squid showed some great speed at times. It's could be very fast, but being a fairly radical design I'm guessing it may take a bit of consistent practice to work out how to get the best out of it and find the sweet spots. Go for it!

Offline flatbackcaper

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 08:24:11 AM »
Great another 97 rules boat in the fleet.Merry Christmas to one and all love Eva

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 10:05:31 PM »
Hi Welcome to the fleet, good to see another proper 97 rules hull getting back on the water.

I have a Fredrickson jib track with car, but the car is missing ball bearings.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 10:59:45 PM »
I have a bag of harken balls (insert your own joke here) that I keep threatening to lose, so if you want them before I lose them, let me know !

Offline Jimmy Rudd

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 08:06:39 AM »
I think I might have got a track and car sorted, but if not I'll give you both a shout this evening.
Thanks
Jimmy
EJ 3206

Offline Jimmy Rudd

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 08:22:42 PM »
Evening, looks like Ive got a track and car sorted, but thanks anyway guys. Looking forward to meeting you all soon.
Jimmy
EJ 3206

Offline Jimmy Rudd

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 10:35:19 PM »
Evening all,

So today we finally got Squid sailing, and the ear popped off and snapped the new track in 2 pieces..... Money well spent.
If the offers of Track and Balls are still available from Phil and Graham, please PM me so I can get back sailing.

For the short period we had her sailing, nice F4 fairly constant she flew up wind, very comfy and not as nose divey as expected, turning the corner was interesting, all my helming fault, kite went up smoothly and pretty quick, though fell down again.... dodgy cleat. Once settled on the run, she really took off, though a massive difference if shes flat or not.... again helming issues. A small, nearly rescued capsize later, we decided to pop up wind, and the ear exploded off and tore the track with her.... balls dropped.... water a tad chilly.

On returning to shore, Robin kindly donated me and Jamie Banshee to let us have a play, muchos grasios Robin. Banshee was fun, but I still prefer the Squid, 97 rules in that wind much more fun.

Hopefully see you on the water, once Ive got a new pair.....

Thanks
Jimmy
EJ 3206

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 12:04:40 PM »
Funny, sounds exactly like my one trip in the Squid, must be between 10 or 15 years ago. Freezing cold and car ball bearings everywhere!

Offline andy_paterson

• Wanabe Guru
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 05:41:47 PM »
mmm...    sorry to be a downer    :-[   , but I thought the squid was a bit horrid and also more than a bit slow in it's time.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 02:12:32 PM »
Maybe a tad harsh Andy. Agreed it was never going to frighten Mango Jam on the racecourse, and maybe not the easiest boat in the world to sail, but at this distance as an entry level boat it will do the job. It will certainly highlight, shall we say "training opportunities".