Author Topic: MIDLANDS POSSE  (Read 51475 times)

roland_trim

Re: MIDLANDS POSSE 2014
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2014, 03:59:23 PM »
That baby is the main sheet jammer.

Fitted so a previous owner could conclude that an RS800 style helm controls main did not really work with Shiny's ultra flat sailing requirements.

Made from forming some sheets of glass weave over the top of a Marks'n'sparks mini-rolls tub. Cut off top flange, glue to piece of wood - perfect top hat plug. This was designed/fabricated/fitted and back on the water in under a day. So yes looks a little rough.

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »
Currently nothing.

I'm going to garage shiny for a few weeks to clean some cracks up.
I'm tempted to remove the glass step and return the cleat/spiny thing to Roland as the item has no use.

Although I know as soon as I remove it, I will find a use for it.

If I remove carefully do you want the fiber glassy bit?
Thanks
Jamie

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »

If I remove carefully do you want the fiber glassy bit?

Thanks for the offer Jamie, but it's ok, I think I can sort out a mounting. Just still trying to work out where best to put it. Ease of use vs trip hazard etc.

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2014, 09:56:49 PM »
Ohh sorry. I'm inept.

I can however get some photos of Shiny's cockpit area and the jib system set up if you would like
Thanks
Jamie

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2014, 07:09:06 AM »

...some photos of Shiny's cockpit area and the jib system set up

That would be very useful. But no rush.

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2014, 12:45:53 AM »
Neil, hopefully these help, sorry if they dont but it was raining and i didnt want my hair to go curly.......

Anyway, Jib sheet is the blue one, goes though the cleat through a block then diverts 80 DEG to another then 90DEG. this then runs up the foredeck to the purches system.

Note: after the 2nd block the rope is ties to the smaller diamiter rope that comes out the foredeck, there is also an elastic takeup/poweroff line to induce the jib to sheet out.

happy to take more photos if these ones are sub standard.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:52:47 AM by JP233 »
Thanks
Jamie

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2014, 06:45:58 PM »
Thanks Jamie, that is very useful. The sheeting arrangement on Cellulite is very similar. The problem I have is that my daggerboard case is very far forward, so it's all a bit crowded at the foot of the mast. The previous owner cut off the tunnel on top of the dgbd case, so I'll either have to reinstate it to create a place for mounting the jib cleat and kite halyard hoist cleat, or fit a small tower so that the jib sheet clears the top of the board.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:52:08 PM by Neil C. »

Offline RobinJones

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2014, 09:00:20 PM »
With Shiny in for repair this weekend, only 2 cherubs hit the water at Draycote, though the usual crew of shiny were both there. Saturday saw a moderate breeze, just enough to get some twinning in at times, with plenty of crew swaps between Joe, Abi, Tom and Robin in Fuzzy and Cheese, everyone sailing with each other and in each boat at some point in the day.

Sunday saw completely different conditions with the one crew of Tom and Robin conquering public transport to be greeted by squally and shifty conditions, and spending one and a half hours or so on the water before calling it quits, and returning for a much needed bacon roll each.

Altogether great weekend with plenty of crew swapping and experience in different boats on Saturday, and some much wanted breeze on Sunday. Videos of the Sunday and the last few weeks hopefully to be uploaded shortly, and next meet will be around the 20/21st  :)

Offline RobinJones

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2014, 09:32:36 PM »
Just a few pictures from on board cheese on the sunday...

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2014, 06:30:57 PM »
I love the middle one 8)
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2014, 07:53:39 PM »
Nigel, come and show them how its done!

i have a spare snorkel!
Thanks
Jamie

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2014, 05:30:01 PM »
Just debating a bit of snow frolics tomorrow on Crib Goch (no ice around yet) but sorely tempted...you there tomorrow? Loco is grounded...don't ask (OK the little dog hasn't misbehaved, just needs some minor repairs)
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

roland_trim

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2014, 06:17:53 PM »
We all expect the little dog to be wagging the tip of her tail just after the next sticky weekend :-)

Offline RobinJones

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2015, 11:48:40 PM »
Another weekend with the Midlands posse at Draycote, with Shiny back on the water and half of team cheese on a journey Essex to collect Dan's Boat, Saturday's turn out was 2 cherubs - Fuzzy sporting a pair of crews, Joe and Robin, and Shiny with the usual suspects. The morning's promising signs of wind brought crews from single to twin wiring and Shiny set a course with a rival 29er, beasting them in a flash of green on the downwind. But victory was short lived, with Jamie suffering some pole difficulties... After a quick fix, the 29er was soon behind again. On the other side of the reservoir, Fuzzy's temporary helm took to the water, only narrowly avoiding the tera, and showed some good speed upwind, but Robin couldn't quite keep with shiny downwind!

After a quick pitstop, there was a swap of crews, making for a terrified Abi helming Fuzzy with an equally terrified Robin crewing, and all the Js in Shiny. Thankfully no breakages/deaths occurred and with some eventful hoists and drops from both boats, the final crew change was made before the quick blast in the dying breeze.

Sunday saw fog and no wind, with Jamie on OD duty, and Tom back from essex with Dan's boat - unfortunately, the fog never lifted enough to go sailing, however the day was spend with Jamie, Tom and Robin checking and rigging Dan's boat, ready for the next meet of the cherub posse - hopefully next weekend.

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2015, 07:07:28 PM »
So has Dans boat been brought back to active duty, or is she just on loan???