Linked Events

• Post Dinghy Show Blast: March 15, 2014

Author Topic: Post Dinghy Show Blast (Draycote)  (Read 17818 times)

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Post Dinghy Show Blast (Draycote)
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 07:53:23 AM »
Max, in case everyone else is travelling and cant see your post, I can let you know that anyone is welcome regardless of expereriece or ability - your attendance will be much appreciated.

I expect they'll be there from around 11, sailing on and off the rest of the day, just find them and say hi

Graham

Offline Max McCarthy

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 07:57:37 AM »
Graham,

Brilliant, I look forward to it then!

Many thanks,

Max

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 09:10:55 AM »
Hi Max,

I thought I recognised that name. I'll be rigging Loco late morning and getting on the water around lunch time. There are a few bits and pieces to sort out but nothing major.

Chances are I'll be crew less...others will add something which rhymes with crew less too  ;)
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

Offline Max McCarthy

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 09:20:43 AM »
Hi Torchy,

Okay, see you there!  ;D

Cheers,

Max

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
Excellent day and Max and the other lads had a good taste of what blasting means. White horses, or as the Aussie 18 crowd say 'sheep', abounded at times and gusts were moderately vicious.

Highlight for me was seeing Dave Ching doing a fast pass close to the clubhouse in Born Slippy and tom and Jamie in Cheese saving the lives (or at least the underpants) of a gaggle of trainee Pico sailors by following a high speed burn with a very slick kite drop.

Hopefully some photos to follow

Offline ade white

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
  • no work team
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 04:43:56 PM »
5 boats turned up to a fab blast yesterday. It was a brill sailing day and the different youngsters that turned up all ended up with big Cherub grins on their faces as the conditions were perfect for some 3 sail action.
The older ones managed to pack up, slowly, although Torchy was so knackered he drove home, still in wetsuit!
Boats there were; Sweet dreamzz, Loco, Born Slippy, Poppy and a shining 'new Cheese' looking resplendent in her new coat (well done the Fosters).
Just to thank Draycote, Jamie and Roland for an excellent day. Draycote isssss an excellent Cherub lake! 'The sun even shon' and the sunset was awesome.
Roland is still there with 2 boats today, so will hopefully add today's exploits.
Looking forwards to Rutland next weekend.
'Sponsor' of "DUCKS"

Offline Max McCarthy

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 09:58:41 PM »
Yes, all in all a very good day. Most of the time, I couldn't stop grinning!

A huge thanks to Roland for organising the blast, and letting me sail his wonderful boats. Also a big thanks to Dave and Roland for sailing with them, it taught me a lot, but the two main things I learnt about Cherub sailing, are how important a flat boat is to a cherub (especially, it seemed Born Slippy was sensitive to this) as well as how my winter gloves do not give particularly good grip, at the best of times!I should have continued to wear my summer gloves, as I did in the morning, as they were perfectly adequate...

So, I would like to pass on my thanks to the Cherub Class for having an event like this, and if there are any chances for crewing, I would love to take them up!

I look forward to seeing how the class takes shape in the future....

Many thanks, for a wonderful day. And to be honest, after the talk of how the weather forecast promised good weather for the Cherub fleet (which, when I first looked at it, I thought 'crikey, thats windy') it really did teach me of what good wind for a cherub is like! And, believe me, if there are any others reading this (who haven't had the wonderful opportunity to have a go on a cherub) I would thoroughly recommend it! Not only is it one of the friendliest fleets about, but the boats they are sailing are just superb, in both the feel and speed...My only regret is not taking my action camera out, but fortunately Roland had his, and I would love to see the footage some time!

Many thanks,

Max

PS Roland, I didn't notice you adjusting the T-foil rudder much on Poppy, when sailing, is this simply due to not needing to? Or did I just not notice you adjusting it? I am curious as to how it would feel after different adjustments? (unless of course, I didn't notice the adjustments taking place!) and how this affects the skill set required when helming such a wonderful boat? Of course in different breezes...my curiosity is due (in part) to never having actually sailed with a T-foil before, despite having fiddled about with one I was contemplating on putting on my Skol. Many thanks....

Thomas Baker

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 10:14:01 PM »
Thank you to everyone for such a great day! everyone was very helpful, especially Jamie. Have learnt a huge amount and looking forward to meeting up again!

Tom

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 11:51:56 PM »
Thank you to everyone for such a great day! everyone was very helpful, especially Jamie. Have learnt a huge amount and looking forward to meeting up again!

Tom
Not at all mate. It's what I'm here for!
Thanks to everyone that came, I will leave the write up for Roland to do but from what I've seen of the video it's good, except for the Classic Roland musical choice.
Thanks
Jamie

roland_trim

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 09:17:57 AM »
Thansk for an excellent weekend.

Brief report and video here: http://www.uk-cherub.org/

roland_trim

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 09:46:28 AM »
Yes, all in all a very good day. Most of the time, I couldn't stop grinning!
I look forward to seeing how the class takes shape in the future....
I didn't notice you adjusting the T-foil rudder much on Poppy, when sailing, is this simply due to not needing to?

I think Dave will suggest not a T of the skol :-) PM him and start a conversation?

We were moving the boat rather than the foil, I was walking backwards and forwards as the boat sped up and slowed down, keeping the nose just on the water.  Downwind I was probably dumping too much, nose in the air made it a bit slower, but meant the less of the crew around the forestay...

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 11:56:24 AM »
Shame there wasn't time to get you out in Loco, Max as we were trying out the new T-foil adjustment and fiddling quite a lot.

Where we are at with the foil is that we are summoning up the courage to have 'just enough' on downwind, without nose diving and trying to see whether the increased range of adjustment now gives us enough positive foil upwind, where currently the faster boats just sail away into the murk.

We used half the available on the gantry without dipping the nose upwind and we still have the twist grip to play with. For Rutland we'll run it a bit more positive in the 'off' position downwind and see how it goes.

Great event and thanks to Roland and Jamie for organising it and stalwart work introducing others to the class. We came back in to look for people to give a ride to and they were all out on the water!

Brilliant video
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:59:44 AM by Torchy »

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 06:59:02 PM »

Brilliant video

I totally agree. Best Cherub video I've seen in ages.

Offline smilie

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 08:17:57 PM »
yeah I will third that  8) nice edit skills.

Shame I couldn't make it along

Offline Max McCarthy

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 07:10:26 PM »
Yes, a wonderful video...really, very good, truly one of my favourites!

Roland, thanks for the info about the T foil...so, it would appear once you have set the T foil (on shore?) it is very much helpful to the sailing of the boat. And, with the skol, I ended up selling her a while back, so my experiments with her and a T foil never got any further.

Cheers,

Max