Author Topic: Weymouth Regatta - 12th and 13th July 2014 - Travellers Trophy Event  (Read 21595 times)

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
Just add the word windy to lovely and you get the picture.  In the words of our President there was nothing sub-epic about either day, both were full on Cherub conditions.  I can proudly say we didn't capsize all weekend - obviously tempting fate for our next outing.

14-16knts out in the bay Saturday a little more windy Sunday.  Marmite clear ahead Saturday with Cool Beans Usagi and Eleanor scrapping quite closely for the next positions.  Roinin going quite well when the flappy things were pointing at the sky.  Atum doing tremendously considering the inexperience of the crew.  The others lets say enjoying themselves until jellyfish attacks got the better of them.  Clive obviously keen to be in the cherub 'gang' heard Cherub sailors prefer to bimble rather than sail.  Least said about that the better.

A slightly reduced fleet on Sunday but 7 boats made out to the start however only 3 made it to the finish.  Marmite again followed by Usagi.  3rd Ronin who did lead until the 1st windward mark at which point they were obviously hot as they stopped for a swim (as did Marmite).  Others (or their boats) lost the war of attrition with the wind and waves.

5th race and only 3 starters.  This time Usagi was close enough to Marmite to take advantage of green swimming to win.  For a time Ronin were 2nd until the boeing marmite flew past and excitingly on Usagi we had our first shark call ever (at least whilst sailing in UK waters) said shark was in fact a dolphin but that's exciting enough.  Must have been here to eat all the jellyfish!   Results up on the regatta website.

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
Is anyone writing a report for Y&Y - I see most of the other classes have.  Who is publicity this year - I forget?  I'll extend the above if no-one else wants at it.

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
In the past it's fallen to 3rd place boat. But I wouldn't see anyone arguing with you.

Offline pratn0

• Class member
  • Guru's Assistant
I hve been asking the third place boat to write the reports. and sending them across to me. 

If people have photos it would also be good to get them.

I will them update the front page and send one to Y&Y (normally only if we have some photo's)

Nick
3217 - Green Bananas (Kermit)

Offline deefender1098

• Alex Harris
  • Committee
  • Wanabe Guru
write up emailed across, unfortunately from what i have found there appears to be no cherub photos?? someone may be more in the know on this matter than i am or have access to more that will do the trick

sorry Andy in the true Liverpudlian spirit I pinched a lot of your write up but in all fairness it seemed to good to be left out  :D