Author Topic: Ideas to stimulate home building  (Read 21324 times)

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
Re: Ideas to stimulate home building
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 03:54:59 PM »
Like this http://www.sailingsource.com/cherub/test/doku.php/encyclopedia?s=encyclopedia  ;D

Errr... yes, but maybe a little more serious. And with the odd image to help.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 04:26:11 PM »

I have made a page to work as a bare bones guide and link to relevant articles that we already have.

in the members only section till we get some flesh on it.

http://www.sailingsource.com/cherub/test/doku.php/members/buildguide

We can also use it to identify areas that need more detail please add bits and links both to existing articles and to ones that you think need writing.

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 06:53:14 PM »
I can add some images if you want Daryl... but most of them will only be relevant to 'code brown' or 'ass of fire' !!  :o

iain_christie

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 09:17:43 AM »
A shell is typically the hull as taken from the jig so inner skin foam and outer skin

so what actually needs adding to finish off the build?  is this things like false floor, space frame, supports etc or are these or elements of these included?

Basically you need to put all those things onto a bare shell which would look something like:

You could get whoever built the shell for you to do as much or as little as you wanted.

I recognise that from somewhere...looks fast, that one!

If a new guide is being put together then I can take a load of pictures of this build.  We spent a good few hours on Tuesday just working out where the transom is going to be!  The bow is very bluff at the moment so what in that picture is the current bow will actaully be a good 2" or so further back, and we will be making something a little sharper up front.

Rumour control...We drew out the transom piece last week and realised it did not fit...it had far too much curvature.  Much head scratching ensued, had the shell sagged over time and this was going to be a new, flatter Slug? :o

Er, no.  With all the design iterations of the original Slug back in 1997, they'd got a bit muddled on Simon's PC, so all of those CAD drawings (which we took the measurements off) are actually not a Slug, they are of a rounder Slug that never got built.

So we put the laptop and all it's offset dimensoins away, and proceeded to chop the back of the boat off and draw round it for the transom...far easier! ;D

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 01:01:22 PM »
some pictures of your build  would be great, I am particulaly interested in hard points for fittings and structural things done to support wings, gantry's etc.

One thing Ross or anyone with some free time is to search the galleries for pictures to add to some of the existing articles and add comments to the new one in the members area showing which of the existing articles need some expantion or improvement.

I have found a couple of bits in old mag's that I have written that could be added to the website, including a breif guide to building a boat.

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale