Author Topic: I need a bike...  (Read 15001 times)

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
I need a bike...
« on: May 16, 2008, 02:53:31 AM »
Right. I refuse to join a gym and I refuse to jog so cycling looks like the best option as to improving cardiovascular fitness. I have out grown all other previous bikes and my brothers is a bit knackered. He uses it a fair bit and was never one for sharing anyway . Probably looking at second hand bikes so what brands/manufactures should I be looking out for (both to avoid and to go for)?

I live in North London so a full on mountain bike would be a bit silly, but I'm not going to be cycling on roads very often. Budget wise...eeerrrm...a couple of hundred at the max.

Advise and recommend away.
Cheers
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: I need a bike...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 07:01:53 AM »
Well to be honest, if you are only spending a couple of hundred quid it is a bit of a toss up as to what to do.

Half of me says get on ebay and look for a bargain, and half of me says get to halfords and buy something new. With a new bike you are safe in the knowledge that everything will work properly but if you buy second hand you might end up having to replace running gear, which can be expensive.

Don't go full susser whatever you do. for that price it WILL be gash! If you're mainly going on paths and stuff you may as well get a hardtail, and possibly a fully rigid bike as there is less to go wrong and cheap suspension forks can be heavy and crap.

As far as brands go, I have a Marin, Hoppy has a Specialized, Iain has a Trek, Gav has a Kona... they are all good bikes but none of them cheap!

Offline MK

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 07:57:24 AM »
Totally agree with the cougar, there are some reasonable bikes for that price range off the shelf such as http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id35728.html it would easily be capable commuting and going through a few muddy fields. The thing to look out for is the groupset and other parts, that one for example has the classic indecipherable Shimano 'insert random product code here' which if left in a garage for a few weeks do just turn to rust. If you're going to be at all serious about using it i would recommend Acera at a minimum. Unfortunately these usually are a little bit more http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&partNumber=767418&langId=-1# but that one in particular a friend has recently bought and i can say its pretty good value for money.

If you think biking may turn into more of a hobby and you're thinking of more money, ebay is the way forward, i recently bought a 2005 model full carbon Trek for 20% of its RRP and its in great condition. Only having to replace the rear deraliers top cog for £2 at the mountain biking weekender.

iain_christie

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 08:46:47 AM »
I'd go for a second hand hardtail mountain bike if I were you.  It will give you the best riding position for around town and cope with the inevitable potholes etc.  If you buy some slicks at the same time you'll be quite surprised what it will do speed wise on tarmac.  Make sure you leave enough in your budget for a decent helmet, pump, lock etc.

Agreed dragging a rear shock and associated linkages round on road is a waste of time, and you are far, far better with a decent hardtail than some dodgy full susser...it will climb better for most of the time and need less maintenance.  My own bike is a full susser with a Fox shock with ProPedal lockout thingy which more or less eliminates "bob" but it wasn't cheap...and whilst it will cane my mate's Kona hardtail downhill, the Kona just feels loads more responsive to pedal effort uphill unless it gets really gnarly.

As a Cherub sailor you'll probably want to tinker with it, so you could always look at getting an older bike that has a decent frame, fork and hopefully wheels (check very carefully for hairline cracks on the welds, especially if it's ally and looks like it's been ridden hard) and upgrade it if you decide to go off road.  Hydraulic disc brakes are superb, make sure your frame will take them if possible, or if you get one with cable brakes it's an easy upgrade (however bear in mind if you are on rim brakes you'll probably need new wheels and hubs too) although I saw a decent set of wheels, discs, calipers and levers second hand for £100 the other day.

eBay is a great source of parts as are some of the other sites around like bikeradar and retrobike.

And enjoy it...I'm loving my biking at the moment, there's 10 of us off to the Dog trail at Cannock tomorrow...can't wait!  And here's my bike on Rushup edge, Derbyshire, during the Easter break.  And yes, Bontrager Jones tyres are CRAP in snow!!

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 09:09:42 AM »
We'll have a chat at the weekend Ross. I am sure Gav will be suggesting the rigid singlespeed though!

iain_christie

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 11:27:15 PM »
Ross the bargains are out there...just bought this for Katherine, as it stands, for the princeley sum of £100!  And that included spare wheels, tyres, and tubes too!  It's disc brake ready so we'll be pimping it soon!

Singletrackworld.co.uk and bikeradar.co.uk are good alternatives to eBay, this was on bikeradar...