Author Topic: Foils  (Read 14301 times)

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Foils
« on: May 14, 2008, 10:53:21 AM »
If anyone is interested in new foils then please let me know. I am planning on getting some blanks made which can then be laminated, I would just like to have an idea of numbers so I can work on a good deal!

Hoppys plan is to have a new board which is a bit longer than his current bloodaxe, I am going to have a new longer and thinner board which will fit my current case so the possibilities are vast.

Let me know and we can start talking deals!   :o

ghislain_devouthon

Re: Foils
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:56:53 AM »
What would be the price ?

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:26:58 AM »
I will call the guy this afternoon, but I am hoping somewhere in the region of £50 - £100 in a state where they are ready to laminate.

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:59:23 AM »
Interested. I'll chat to you at Weston.
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline neal_gibson

• Apprentice Guru
  • sending it
    • Storrar Marine
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 09:34:56 PM »
will they be tim proof???

as i may replace the mighty boar don suicide if there strong and light
2644 Suicide Blonde

The Northern ONE
Resident Sailmaker

Damage count so far this season
1) RS Feva mast easy
2) Cherub Main Fixed
3) VW BORA Gone forever bugger
4) One cherub boom Debi does ass damage fixed now.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 09:55:18 PM »
they'll be as strong as the amount of carbon you put on them. i am sending the drawing of my board to the guy (in the post as he doesnt have email!) and i should have a price back after that!

iain_christie

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 09:19:41 AM »
Tim

If they are CNC blanks I could be interested in a rudder and T foil...I've got that other one but I might be building an "X" foil rather than a "T" foil.  What's the core material likely to be?

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
What has been discussed so far would be cedar core. I am guessing that they would be hand made as the guy who I have spoken to is James Jarvey (JJ Boats, make stuff like scorpions, very pimp wood boats). He makes all our glass sheathed racing foils for the Osprey and Kestrel so he knows what he is doing.

If people are interested I will look into getting them CNC cut as that would be far easier I would have thought.

craig_guthrie

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 05:08:02 PM »
Hi There.
I am new class member in Nova Scotia. Plan to put together a hull over the coming winter and then picking up used bits from the UK> I will be buying sails, spars and foils.

How much for the blanks with shipping? Any other parts around? How current are the basic designs?

Thanks!
Craig

ghislain_devouthon

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 08:06:39 AM »
Hi There.
I am new class member in Nova Scotia. Plan to put together a hull over the coming winter and then picking up used bits from the UK> I will be buying sails, spars and foils.

How much for the blanks with shipping? Any other parts around? How current are the basic designs?

Thanks!
Craig

As you seem to be in canada, it might worth having a look at Phil's Foil work : http://www.philsfoils.com

I might be far cleaner than most home cherub foils.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 02:15:24 PM »
Hi There.

Thanks!
Craig
As you seem to be in canada, it might worth having a look at Phil's Foil work : http://www.philsfoils.com

I might be far cleaner than most home cherub foils.

I was going to suggest phils foils, I got some foam plugs made for a new rudder from him and he was very helpfull.

If you are building a boat I would suggest getting a pro centerboard and building your own rudder. because the centerboard case is so central to the hull and needs to fit the board exactly you want a centerboard that will be reliable as getting a replacement to fit can be a real pain. You also need the board before you can put the deck on so it needs to be sorted quickly.

With the rudder if you break it you can always borrow something from another boat which is quite easy to mod to fit.

Phil
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale