Author Topic: Removing a Castle  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Alex Slatter

• Newb
Removing a Castle
« on: July 28, 2013, 08:35:52 PM »
Guys,

i am finding that the castle on Spanish inquisition (now named sod's law) is a right pain. can i have your opinion on wheter to remove it or not. if so could you please tell me how and or pint me in the right direction.

thanks Alex

roland_trim

Re: Removing a Castle
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 08:39:59 PM »
Hi Alex,
Can you post a picture?

The tool of choice for this used to be a grinder, but life has evolved and we would recommend getting your hands on a multi-tool (vibrating saw), like one of these (note not necessarily this brand or make).
 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PMF-190-Multifunctional-Allrounder/dp/B0091GDW04/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1375040250&sr=1-1&keywords=oscillating+multi+tools

Offline Alex Slatter

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 09:58:25 PM »
ok will do tomorrow

roland_trim

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 10:24:15 PM »
Cool. Remember not to cut ANYTHING before you have an exit plan and a date to be back in the water with her.

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:53:56 AM »
Remember the castle is there to support the force (to leeward) on the top of the centreboard case. If you decrease the distance between the top and bottom of the centreboard the force on each increases.

So, if you remove the castle, you will need to replace that support with something else. Potentially more than was already there.

Some of the modern boats do this by laminating a pad of foam onto the deck at the case.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:16:28 PM by Stuberry »

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:31:23 AM »
Diagram attached: x + y = z and ax = by
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:17:03 PM by Stuberry »

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 12:27:34 PM »
A photo would certainly help.

A good guide to how much support is required is knowing what the distance is between the hull bottom and the false floor.  On the Dog design this was 20cm.  The modern boats have nearer 30cm.  On Slippery we went for 25cm and reinforced the remaining stub of the case above the floor by adding lots of carbon.  A foam pad around the case and voerlaid with carbon would have distributed the loads better but the pole is likely to sit down one side of the case when retracted So any mod needs to take this into account.

The aim of the cockpit layout is to keep the cockpit as clear as possible making it easier to get through to the other side in a tack or a gybe.  This is probably more important than saving weight. 

If the boat has a higher castle behind the case to take a mainsheet block it may be better to just remove this and leave the structure supporting the case alone.
Without a photo I am speclating a bit.