Author Topic: Siberian Spring  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Siberian Spring
« on: March 23, 2013, 08:11:59 PM »
Is it just me, or is the weather getting worse every year? Last year it was so cold, wet and windy up here that we didn't start sailing until May. This year isn't looking any better so far.... Or maybe I'm just getting more grumpy each year!

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Siberian Spring
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 10:41:34 PM »
I was thinking about buying one of those Zhik Superwarm Skiff Suits. Does anyone know if they're any good? Are they any better / warmer than a conventional 5mm steamer? The advertising claims "you may never need a drysuit again" but I'm a bit sceptical that they're as good as that.

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 07:13:51 AM »
I'm sailing tomorrow in swimming shorts, t-shirt, sunglasses and hat.   No fancy steamer for me.  Southerners are 'ard.  Mind you it is 30 degrees C where I am  ;D

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:27:59 AM »
You can really go off some people, can't you!

roland_trim

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »
You can really go off some people, can't you!
For a minute I was jealous. Then I thought - what is he actually going sailing in?

Offline ade white

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
  • no work team
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:34:46 PM »
At Chew, I found a good place to keep warm was kneeling on the board sheltering behind the hull whilst Joe was swimming around at the time in a good wetsuit but 1 size too large for him. The only comment i can make, as a caring father is, when i was his age i didnt even have a wetsuit and my dad still made me swim about when he was kneeling, sheltering on the centerboard...it was tough in them days, when I were a lad! We usually finished the race as well. I must be getting soft.
Anyway if it fits properly it probably will be warmer, but how do they gauge what you are wearing under the drysuit?
Semi Dry Steamers work for me as the windsurfing kitesurf stuff with the thermal surf stuff under them especially with harness and buoyancy to add further cold barriers.
'Sponsor' of "DUCKS"

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 03:06:53 PM »
Thanks Ade, that's cool. Well, er actually warm, if you know what I mean... 

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:54:22 PM »
At the weekend I was supposed to be on the committee boat for an RYA spring regatta. Fortunatly the organizers looked at the forecast and canclled, which was a good call.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=427687813987311

I am suspiscious of the Zick suits, I have just got a nice new steamer and underneath I stay mostly dry even after swimming, there is a good neck seal so no cold trickle down the neck. Water does seep in but slowly so there is no colt shock.

These skiff suits look like long johns, so I can't see how they woudl keep the water out, even with some top layers.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 12:40:17 AM »
I took a trip up to Derwent on Friday just to see what was happening. There are still several inches of snow all round the lake there, so the only boat out was a particularly committed GP14 crew.

Got a bit bored this afternoon after too much lunch so I did a bit of sailing club website surfing. We used to go to Bala SC for the Easter Weekend Regatta a few years BC (Before Children). This year it has been cancelled due to huge amounts of snow (follow the "pic" link on the front page):

www.balasc.org.uk/

The other popular Easter Regatta was the Weston Easter Grand Slam. Major respect is due to Paul and Peter in 3214 this year. Not only did they make it out at Weston, they came a close 2nd on points in the fast handicap fleet. Well done, that new boat is obviously seriously quick.

http://www.weston.org.uk/site/results/grandslam13.htm
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:55:43 AM by Neil C. »

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 10:56:58 AM »
Congratulations to Paul and Peter well done for flying the flag.

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 04:45:32 PM »
Towed the mighty Groovejet (2631) up to Derwent today, supposed to be for our 1st sail of the season. Found a solid 25kts breeze when we got there, with some impressive gusts. 10 degC on the car thermometer, but felt a whole lot colder due to the wind chill. 14-year old crew making negative noises about the cold just putting the mast up, so binned it for today. It was pretty wild to be fair. At least we now have a boat ready in the boat-park. Anybody else made it out this weekend?

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 06:38:48 PM »
Sat in a rescue boat all weekend watching other people sail in the glorious sunshine. The wind was a bit light down in Chichester harbour but Clive and Alex got out for some racing in A+E on Saturday. The boat is looking very good.
2688- Atum Bom

roland_trim

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 08:16:07 PM »
Dave Ching celebrated being 40 by burning  around at Poole in Born Slippy with a variety of novice crews.

Forgot how good Mr C. is - watching him with people who had never stepped in a boat before was much warmer from the club house.

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 10:36:59 PM »
Many happy returns Dave!

Born Slippy - what an incredibly fine ship. Here's one of the last photos I have of her before she joined the Trim stable (boatshed?). Says it all really.