Author Topic: Weymouth Regatta - 13th and 14th July 2013 - Travellers Trophy Event  (Read 28596 times)

Offline Hayley_Trim

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Cheers Andy - saves me a job finishing mine! And strategic avoidance of the horn-happy race officer's inability to count laps probably also for the best :)
Happy for you to send to Y&Y if you like. Perhaps you could send them a link to the photos too?
I'll be sending them a full Nationals briefing shortly in any event.

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
OK I will send it off a bit later this morning

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
strategic avoidance of the horn-happy race officer's inability to count laps probably also for the best :)

I also found the simultaneous starting and multiple signals from the other course caused confusion on the first Sunday start...I thought he'd called a general

Love Andy's write up...I am developing 'smart weed' which has DNA matched to A+E's carbon fingerprint (evil laugh, strokes cat...)...and everyone else's  :)
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
We did seem to have a few issues, but don't take anything away from yourselves team Trim it's good to see you do so well. And Poppy looks awesome.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
As we all know, the sound signals are to draw our attention to the flags. but in most cases we rely on the sounds and don't look at the flags. 

In race 5 when a few boats stopped a lap early when the committie boat was finishing the assymmetric fleet we had only completed 2 of our 3 laps.  They had raised a shorten course flag but did not raise our class flag with it meaning that the shorten course did not relate to us. I clarified this with the race officer at the briefing.

The other clue was that the first 2 boats in our fleet had carried on and started a 3rd lap.  I couldn't see why they would split the fleet in that way and carried on.

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
As we all know, the sound signals are to draw our attention to the flags. but in most cases we rely on the sounds and don't look at the flags. 

In race 5 when a few boats stopped a lap early when the committie boat was finishing the assymmetric fleet we had only completed 2 of our 3 laps.  They had raised a shorten course flag but did not raise our class flag with it meaning that the shorten course did not relate to us. I clarified this with the race officer at the briefing.

The other clue was that the first 2 boats in our fleet had carried on and started a 3rd lap.  I couldn't see why they would split the fleet in that way and carried on.

I agree you are correct in most of what say however I would just like to defend those of us that were court out. The committee boat were not finishing the asymmetric class as you say they very specifically finished us, there was no one near us and the finishing hoot  didn’t come from the other coarse.  It was not obvious the other boats were off on another lap at that stage. You are correct about the class flag and shorten course (must find time to learn every scenario) but the race officer agreed that race officials actions had caused confusion and awarded the boats who were finished early the positions we were at that point. Fair enough!

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
I possibly had a better vantage point of the situation from where i was.  I had thouhgt that the hoot you recieved as you crossed the line was badley timed shorten course signal for the MPS's approaching the line but it could have been an accidental sound signal.  I'm glad it got resolved.

I always go by the mantra if in doubt carry on and let them stop you.  At worse you get to enjoy another lap.

Offline ade white

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
  • no work team
My take on this, as we also finished when we heard a gun as we crossed the line and so did the knife and another boat. We were 3 boats close together and heard 3 guns... The confusion could of been another shortened course. Hence even more confusion!
I looked at the flags as well. No shortened course or class flags were flying! Therefore i assumed we finished as did the other boats. Race officer said there was a bit or confusion on the boat. 
'Sponsor' of "DUCKS"