Author Topic: Anyone like the Norfolk Broads?  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Anyone like the Norfolk Broads?
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:52:35 AM »
Sam and I took a broads yacht with his friend Tim last week. Watch out for the amazing boomwalk.

The dinghy is a Brock Frances, which all my kids have learnt to sail in...and soon the grandchildren  :)

http://youtu.be/__zvBigSI3s
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
Re: Anyone like the Norfolk Broads?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 12:34:39 PM »
Hmm, not sure I approve: can't be doing the sail too much good judging by the creases, and those Hunters boats deserve as much TLC as we can give them.

I think I have some photos somewhere of my old Forman 4 parked (on her side of course) on the bank for the night somewhere round Horsey... I've done a fair bit of cruising round the broads in various Cherubs.

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 05:16:41 PM »
We were on a Japonica, not a Hunter's JimC but well spotted as the lovely varnished boat in one of the shots is indeed from that yard

btw no real strain on the sail  :)

Horsey, Hickling, Heigham Sounds...the most beautiful part of the Broads...mind you Barton Broad is also idyllic

Offline Eggbert

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 10:21:19 PM »
Love the broads spent a lot of.holidays there as kid as did my mum with her parents, my great uncle used to have a holiday charter boat business there want to go back.soon
2535  91 rules  "Eggbert the Nasty" for sale
2657  97 rules  "Slippery When Wet"

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:16:36 PM »
Many of the creases in the sail were still there after he stepped off the boom.

I Would like to do some sailing round the broads.

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 09:34:23 AM »
You can't beat the Hunter's Yard boats for sailing performance. Built in the 30s thay are basic and have no engine but ghost along in no wind, can tack up narrows rivers and shift along amazingly in a breeze. Martham boatyard now have some of the old Norfolk Broads Yacht Co boats including America and Palace(?), as well as their Japonica's etc. A yacht one day I'll take with my beautiful wife is Zoe - built in the 30s (or before) Zoe is a very nippy small yacht with a cozy little cabin for romantic getaways for two.

If the White Moth is still on hire...well, she is stupendous. 65' wherry yacht. IF Cherub buddies wanted a good group holiday she sleeps 8-10 and shifts like nothing else on the Broads. Makes fast yachts look slow.

I've done big boat sailing but always enjoy (prefer?) the Broads because it's highly technical sailing, no real danger (not like navigating at sea) and there's always a pub to tie up near if you want that or complete solitude if you want that.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 01:08:17 PM »
+2.5