Linked Events

• Inlands 2012 - Queen Mary SC: November 10, 2012 - November 11, 2012

Author Topic: Inlands 2012  (Read 15428 times)

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Inlands 2012
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2012, 07:46:22 AM »
Very brief report, from memory, hav'nt seen any official results.

Wind - 0-5knts, directionally unstable !
3 races in, I think winners were Marmite, Ronin, Ronin; always up in 2nd and 3rd were E-Numbers and Usagi.

Some amazing performances by the Wing Commander & Joe in sweet dreemz and new boys Johnny & Alex in Suicide, both well in with the 05 rules boats.

Welcome beer at Andy and Jills, curry for 20 and some rum in the Magpie. Those slightly age disadvantaged (on either end f the scale) went for some sleep, I await an end of pay match report for those that didnt !

Full report to follow.

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 12:08:12 AM »
Was sunny, but windless and blooming freezing "Up North" today. Only managed an hour in the garage due to cold. Hope you Inlanders had better conditions.

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 09:19:04 AM »
Sunday did indeed dawn windless and grey, but during a well observed 2 minute silence the wind filled in from the west to give somewhere round the 5 knots we needed to allow the eager race officer to get us all underway.

The first race was a closely fault battle between Marmite, Riot Van and Ronin with much place changing during the 4 laps, at the bottom mark Riot Van had a boat length on Marmite, but during the frantic tacks for the line Paul stuffed his tiller extension up his life jacket and fell in, leaving the door open for Ronin to take 2nd.

The wind held for a 2nd race where a similar battle ensued. This time Marmite took it from Riot Van and Ronin 3rd.

The wind didnt hold so well for Race 3 where it dropped to Saturdays levels, a mighty battle was happening at the front between Marmite, Usagi, Ronin, E-Numbers and Sweet Dreemz, thankfully shortened to 3 laps Usagi took line honours from Marmite and E-Numbers 3rd.

Full results are here http://www.queenmary.org.uk/SailResults/Open%20Racing%202012/20121111_B14%20&%20Cherub%20Inland%20Championships.htm

This was a fantastic event. 15 boats supports our increasing numbers throughout 2012, and for the first time we had more entries than the B14's.

In six races we had 4 different winning boats, first place was decided on discard (or count back or whatever it is called these days) and 3rd and 4th seperated only by a point - this underlines that Cherub sailors are getting more skilled and the racing is getting closer, all of which is fantastic positive stuff.

Things we learnt.

1. We should have a 97 rules trophy for the inlands (Sorry Joe, but you know if we'd done it, it was yours ) !

2. Some of the older boats can still turn it on big time, Sweet Dreemz in particular - first at the top mark more than once, beat me twice and dont think I wasnt trying ! Suicide Blonde also showed impressive speed in the hands of our new members Alex and Johnny all the way from Liverpool.

3. Anyone who ordered a Lamb or Chicken Pasanda has to wear a pink tutu next event.

My apologies for the bits I dont know/have forgotten, perhaps some others can help me.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:47:34 AM by Graham Bridle »

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 09:36:32 AM »
That is a terrific turnout!

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2012, 09:59:56 AM »
Many congratulations to Paul and Tom in Marmite, very well done.

Good work to the boys in Atum on winning the travellers. A thoroughly consistant performance over the year, you've come on a long way! Nice one.

Ade, hope you will be making some more mods to your boat over the winter? I'd suggest lead and a sea anchor  ;)

Very nice to see everyone and look forward to 2013, let's try and pick up where we have left off.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2012, 01:03:46 PM »
Had a really good weekend and agree that the racing was tight and quite tactical.

Callum enjoyed the weekend and has the cherub bug.  He did a great job all weekend and we improved our techniques in these light conditions.

Sweet dreams was by my thinking the best performing boat over the weekend.  If we were sailing to handicaps i'm sure she would have been winning.  It reminded me how high a 97 rules boat can point. 

Andy and Jill were also super hosts and the bacon baps kept me going until 5pm when I devoured 2 cornish pasties.
Is anyone putting a report together for yachts and yachting?

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2012, 01:12:43 PM »
I am supposed to be doing this and will hopefully have something hacked together by the end of the day to send to Hayley for final edit and send out to Y&Y.
If anyone else (who was more involved in the close racing up front) would like to do this then they are most welcome to do so. Otherwise I will be using Graham's posts above as gospel truth as to what happened on the horizon.
Seconded on Jill and Andy's hospitality, it was top notch and very much appreciated!!

Racing was less than spectacular from team Atum although we did have a few close races, being edged out by Jo and Nick in Madge with a great move at the bottom mark and pipping Sweet Dreamzzz with a ridiculously late drop.

My favourite sailing moment though was arriving at the committee boat with the kite up as the final race started having gone ashore after race two to sort out a bad case of TB.
2688- Atum Bom

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2012, 02:30:11 PM »
does anyone have any photos for the article?
2688- Atum Bom

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2012, 02:53:11 PM »
Ok, I am drawing a total blank about what happened in the first days racing. I have the results but nothing about what happened at the front. Can someone let me know what was going on in the first 3 races?
Thanks
2688- Atum Bom

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2012, 03:00:08 PM »
1st rule of report writing: Don't let the truth hinder a good story.

Consider it a bit more like writing for The Star than The Guardian.

Get creative.

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2012, 03:52:19 PM »
The Guardian???I'd hope I write better than that.   :P
2688- Atum Bom

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2012, 03:57:10 PM »
I agree with Stu. I once wrote a report having not been at the actual event yet people still commented that it sounded like a great event and that they must have really missed out! Use the results as a rough guide and you can't go too far wrong!

Offline PaulJ

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2012, 05:06:23 PM »
does anyone have any photos for the article?

Hannah took some photos on Saturday. I will have a look at them tonight and email a few over if they are suitable.
Events Secretary
3214 - Cool Beans

Offline Hayley_Trim

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2012, 05:34:59 PM »
Cheers Paul - please could you send them my way and I'll hold off with the Y&Y report in the meantime. Always nice to have a good shot in there.

Offline PaulJ

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »
Unfortunately Hannah wasn't able to get on a rescue boat but managed to get a couple from a distance.

Events Secretary
3214 - Cool Beans