Author Topic: All those photos and videos  (Read 8006 times)

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
All those photos and videos
« on: January 24, 2012, 03:10:23 PM »
Hi guys,

As some of you know I'm planning (teenager willing) to be back sailing Cherubs after a long gap (it might be 30 years!)

Can I just highlight the importance for the class of all the photos and videos? It gets noticed. . . in fact I stayed in touch with Cherubs from about 2003 onwards via the website, the photos and latterly the videos.  In the end it was the videos which convinced me I just had to get back in one of the little terrors.

Has anyone got an HD headcam yet, or a waterproof static? What did Santa buy you? The Aussies are outdoing us on the video front just lately:

hxxp: www. youtube. com/watch?v=1J4zqCXhCyo

hxxp: www. youtube. com/watch?v=ly8IX9UyqRQ

These are awesome but I think we can do better!. . . and be more original with the expletives
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: All those photos and videos
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 03:47:23 PM »
Thaks Nigel, good feedback. One of our members put the call out recently for updated photos, I am as guilty as the next man at not having supplied them.

Maybe we could cam up a bit at chew, although thats hardly AUS in 30 degrees, but I am pretty confident we could out expletive the lager drinking *$£"!$!!s

Offline Hayley_Trim

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 04:14:42 PM »
Paul has had some luck with his video camera - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otdb-I8bGDU and other vids by Dart597

We do need some more footage and hopefully Chew will be a good opportunity. Have to confess that headcam always felt very awkward to me, and if Roland wore it I just used to burst out laughing when I caught sight of him... Mast cam and pole cam can work really well, but it can be pot luck whether it ends up the right way round.  As for expletives, there comes a point where it's best to keep your mouth shut, or you swallow too much water ;D

Offline Andrew Whapshott

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 04:22:25 PM »
My crew for this season has splashed out on a decent Cherub-proof Go-pro, and I have a headcam, but it isnt waterproof just yet (I expect it will be fine once I've built a fibreglass/perspex box for it )    Planning on making a Laser 2 video in the summer on the solent, as we have a beach hut sorted to stay in for a while at Calshot.  Not sure who is coming to the nationals with me just yet, but if he can make it we will bring it along :-) 

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 04:38:32 PM »
Excellent guys. . . I do believe it really matters. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . being creative with language that is

Oh, and the *??*!! pics I suppose

HD cams seem to be getting smaller and are dive rated now (down to 60m I think) but £170 is a bit steep just now for me so I'm glad others already have them

Existing videos are fantastic in content but the improvement in cameras, internet streaming etc over the last 2 years has been massive.

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 05:07:12 PM »
Hayley...vv good vids (somehow I'd missed them)

I typed in 'Cherub Dinghy' to Youtube when I was looking and your previous (very good) vid comes up later on...after the Aussie ones (shame!...friendly antipodean rivalry...the ***???!!s) plus a very good one of Suicide which is now 'old and grainy'.

I asked Sam what he would type into Youtube if he was looking and he reckoned 'fast sailing dinghy'

Maybe we should do an ace video and call it 'fast sailing fun Cherub dinghy most watched video on youtube'

Offline Hayley_Trim

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »
I like your thinking! How to get up the Google/youtube etc list may have to become a little project...

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »
On the videos of Ronin, Matt added the key words "Stuart" "Tinner". I wonder if it contributed to any hits?

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 05:55:39 PM »
I have some mast cam footage of Eleanor, however have never worked out how to put it on YouTube. I will bring a copy on disc to the blast for someone clever. Will also bring the camera along and hopefully get some more footage.

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 08:50:56 PM »
btw the 2 excellent vids on the website Pole cam and Nationals warm up day won't run properly on my netbook and even the big iMac struggles...web guru?

(I tried changing quality but it didn't really help, even running direct on Youtube)

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 10:47:46 PM »
Some of the 29ers use a boom cam.  A good angle can be achieved by mounting the camera further aft on a tiller extension taped to the boom.
We could experiment at Chew and fill you tube with lots of Cherub vids.

Offline PaulJ

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 07:34:30 AM »
Had a few hours free last week and have made two custom mounts for my Go Pro camera for Ronin.

1. Boom Cam - made from the old spinnaker chute roller, about 700mm long, can be mounted either out the back of the boom or forward to shoot to port/starboard or up, mounted with 4 x M5 bolts

2. Mast Cam - moulded around the mast, mount is offset to one side to allow the rig tension to pass, this will also double up as a compass mount. Should be able to use it on the pole and wings as well. Mounted with velcro straps

Will bring them both to the blast, happy to lend them out,  boom cam does need 4 x 5mm holes drilled in the end of the boom to be really secure though.

Events Secretary
3214 - Cool Beans

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 08:44:27 AM »

I have a non HD waterproof camera, which I used last year to produce this:
http://youtu.be/7kIsh22sQZ0

The difference in quality between the HD, and non HD cameras is obvious.

One benifit the Ausies have is sunshine, not something we get up here too often.

I would like to see more up to date photos on the website, we just need some wind, sun and a camera.

Phil

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 09:25:53 AM »
There are lots of photos of the Inlands (which was very sunny) and the Bonfire Blast which have yet to make much of an appearance on the site. I can add some in if noone else wants to step up and R doesn't mind using his photos on the site. I will bring a camera and a big lens to Chew and hopefully get some good shots.
2688- Atum Bom

roland_trim

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 09:47:03 AM »
All my images are copyright given to the class. If anyone has them use them :-)