Author Topic: This Way Up  (Read 6688 times)

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: This Way Up
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 10:13:44 PM »
Peal ply isn't suposed to be left on. It incorporates a release agent which may reduce the ability of the paint or other things to stick. if it is clear or opaque it is more likely to be a thin layer of glass used to cover the kevlar when the boat was built or added subsequently if someone else sanded into the kevlar by mistake.
A good way to apply pressure to small but not flat areas without using a vac pump is as follows.

over your laminate apply peal ply as usual.
on this add a layer of polythene or plastic bag.
on this add something squashy. several layers of breather, a sponge a folded towel, or something semi inflated.
on this add a flat board and tape, weight or strap down. For very uneven items ignore the replace the flat board with more plastic.  The squashy material can then be reused.

This spreads the strapping and weighing down force evenly over the area being laminated.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »
I should have said, once you have peeled the peelply off then there is a slightly rough surface with the fibres pushed down.

Strawberry has some glass  on the inside which had stripes on it like peelply. I am assured this stuff is glass not peeply, and I guess TWU may have the same.

Offline Andrew Whapshott

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 09:06:30 PM »
Thanks, Luckily the areas affected are nice and flat. I'll assume it's glass, and that the builder was not a fool..  Anyway I'll press on carefully and repair the fluffy bits when finished..

I'm guessing the (lower/crew)deck is the same, but I know the outer hull layer is glass...  Can't wait to finish her, aiming for the Sheppy blast (No Promises though!)

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 03:38:37 PM »
Its not unusual to have a thin layer of glass over kevlar to give you some room for error sanding before the fuzz starts. But Wiz Deas tells the story of working on a foam multihull back in the 80s. *As I recall* the tale he had to do a whole lot of interior mods and to his amazement and delight found all the surfaces covered in peel ply. Ripped it off and had a perfect new surface to glue on the new stuff: saved him hours of work.

Offline Andrew Whapshott

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 07:59:03 PM »
Ah, I wish it was that simple!

I've unearthed some interesting repairs that have now been reinforced/corrected...  (Any reason that a sponge cloth would be included in the lay-up?  ::) )

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 01:16:48 PM »
thats just brilliant :)
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 11:08:29 PM »
That's very cheruby. Boats built from materials that are easy to hand.

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 04:49:07 PM »
Phil I've got some used Brillo pads for you if you need them  ;D
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'