Author Topic: 97 Club  (Read 18303 times)

Offline MK

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
Re: 97 Club
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 02:28:54 PM »
But we will stick to using a tape measure

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 07:30:08 PM »
I have a square top 91/97 main for sale. Brand new, never been used. I think it is about 8m^2 which is a little under the 97 rules main I had on Flat Stanley.

Offline Eggbert

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 08:51:16 PM »
If we are gonna stick to the rules a bit more does that mean that Slippery sol be illegal unless I stick some toe straps in and take off the second wire even tho my crew probably weighs less than Eddie will next season
2535  91 rules  "Eggbert the Nasty" for sale
2657  97 rules  "Slippery When Wet"

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »
I say PM me with how much you would be looking to pay. I dont think it will be as much as I would want for it but I am prepared to loose out a bit if it means another Cherub out sailing well and looking the part!

Also asking that question.

I found those pic's on the site when updating the Madge page.

How much are you looking for the main .  would be something to start with before coming up rig program once the boats sailing.

Phil.  ANy parts would be use full right now.  This weekend i will have some time to pull out everything i have and work out whats going on..  Most of the deck hardware is also missing so it't going to be a long project getting her back on the water.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 09:43:22 PM »
Have you got any pics of your new mainsail Phil? I think to be honest the main aim is to get more old boats out sailing and to have fun whilst doing it. Not sure we will be waving the rule book about as ling as they still measure as Cherubs. To win the 97 trophy you've got to tick all the boxes though I would say.

We are all about having fun up here, there is a bit of fixing to be done on the kipper to get it back on the water and convince Dave's crew that winter sailing is good.

I have not put a tape mesure against the big main, but it is quite a lot bigger than the older one.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline pratn0

• Class member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 10:38:09 PM »
that looks sweet.
3217 - Green Bananas (Kermit)

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 07:34:30 AM »

I have not put a tape mesure against the big main, but it is quite a lot bigger than the older one.

Which sailmaker made your new main Phil? I can't make out the emblem behind the gnav. ??Hyde

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 08:22:07 AM »

Which sailmaker made your new main Phil? I can't make out the emblem behind the gnav. ??Hyde

It was Dynamic Sails, I said that I was not too excited about area, I just gave him my weight and told him I was sailing the boat single wire. He came up with a size somewhere between 05 and the storm main that he has made for one of the 05 boats.
3218 Zero Gravitas

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 08:36:50 AM »
I bet that it's classed as a 'storm' when the wind reaches 20 knots ;-)

The sail does look nice, what size kite are you planning on using next season? I have got a 97 kite with Numb and I think that for round the cans racing at the club that will probably be the most useful size. We may stand a sporting chance of being able to use it on the reaches if they are broad enough.

What handicap have you been sailing off at the club? For a 97 bistro I guess 1000 is the official number on the website but I'm not sure that they will go for that at Netley. Numb certainly looks quicker than a 1000PY number!

roland_trim

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 09:45:35 AM »
We sial Born Slippy off 975, never win (we are hopeless after all), but always have the biggest grins :-)

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 05:15:31 PM »
No-one who sails a Cherub is hopeless, they are tricky little blighters to sail.
The reason the grins are so big is when it goes right, it goes really right.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 10:29:21 PM »
I bet that it's classed as a 'storm' when the wind reaches 20 knots ;-)

The sail does look nice, what size kite are you planning on using next season? I have got a 97 kite with Numb and I think that for round the cans racing at the club that will probably be the most useful size. We may stand a sporting chance of being able to use it on the reaches if they are broad enough.

What handicap have you been sailing off at the club? For a 97 bistro I guess 1000 is the official number on the website but I'm not sure that they will go for that at Netley. Numb certainly looks quicker than a 1000PY number!

I am probably going to go for around 18 or 19 sqm to give a bit more power in the light stuff. to go bigger i would need to extend the pole and I do not think that I would get much benifit.

We are sailing off 965 at the club this year. We have won a few races, mostly when it is windy. In the light stuff we are typically quite far behind on handicap.
3218 Zero Gravitas

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 10:43:36 PM »
We did not let a broken bowsprit spoil the fun and rigged the 97 size rig and headed off to the sailing academy at Weymouth. The smaller kite seemed to set quite nicely off the remaining section of pole. Nice 13knt breeze and the November sunshine gave me the chance to practice trapeze helming taking some non sailing mates out for joy rides. The boat certainly turned some heads too which was nice. All in all a great weekend which showed us how much fun a 97 rules boat can be!     

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2012, 09:58:09 PM »
Had another session out in Numb today and it seems to be that regardless of what the weather forecast says it seems to blow 18-25 knots at Netley... that's 3 sailing sessions in a row now! I am sore and my body feels highly abused. Numbs Fyfes are a real treat in breeze and the Bistro is so forgiving you can drive the boat ridiculously hard up and down wind and get away with murder! What a boat! :-D

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »
Fully epic weekend 97ing at Netley this weekend with Tinner and his new crew Becky sailing Pasta Frenzy. Davro Hung around for the day to get a nice Cherub fix between teaching people how to ride motorbikes!

It was a tale of two both ends of the spectrum as regards to wind, Saturday we were blessed with blazing sunshine and 20-25 knots so had some epic blasting up and down Southampton water. Saturday night involved rum, pizza and plenty of rest for tired bodies!

This morning was equally sunny but a bit (lot) less windy! We decided to get involved with some club racing round a one lap elongated P course in 4-8 knots of wind. We were pretty pleased to beat the 2 RS600's over the water and come in not far behind an FD over the water and took a pretty respectable 11th out of 27 boats in far from favourable conditions!