Author Topic: Build or not to Build? Thats the Question!  (Read 6748 times)

António

Build or not to Build? Thats the Question!
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:22:12 PM »
Hi all,
I am new here, and have been around trying to learn something about cherubs.
Well, let me introduce myself.  I am 47, live in Portugal and usually sail my own beneteau first 210.  It is a really good boat, . . . but I miss the snipes and vauriens time.
Besides sailing I love also building boats.  I am currently helping a friend in his project building a farrier 22ft trimaran, so i am familiar with composites, glass, carbon, airex, vacuum bagging, epoxy. . . . . . .
When digging some tech clues for carbon masts, I found Atum Bom and the cherub class.  The investigation followed and I became more and more interested in "cherubbing".  It might be a good "next project", because it has the right size for my garage, it is built with techniques I can deal with, they are lovely and FAST, so it might interest my kids.
As I do not intend to race, the fact of beeing the only one around is not a problem (it is an advantage. . . I will win the class. . . if I´m lucky).
The questions that i would like to answer are:
Are these boats possible in rough sea? We have here (porto) 1,5 to 3 m of waves, and winds up to 30kts often.
Me and my crew are to the heavy side (90 + 70 kg).  Can the cherubs take that?
I love the banshee design and specially its multimodal utilisation (the trimaran option).  Does someone have mr Daryl Wilkinson contact?
Any comments would be welcome.
Thanks to all

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
Re: Build or not to Build? Thats the Question!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »
I own Banshee Ambulance and am just about on track to getting it sorted. As far as I know the Tri part was never built. I have yet to be convinced on the multi mode design but have not owned the boat long. Time will tell.
I also started building a boat, initially my own design, very much based on the Banshee, before trying to do it on the cheap (not a good idea) and finally giving up after moving to a flat with no garage space. However, others have self built some fantastic boats recently, Exultant, E-Numbers and Johns boat to name a few. They will be far better able to advise than me but what I can say is that the little building I did, I enjoyed.

António

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:23:37 PM »
Thanks for advice.
how does your boat behaves when the seas grow, and if you load it with a lot of a crew?
My wet suit shrunk a long time ago!
cheers

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:42:09 AM »
I am the new owner of Atum Bom and I can vouch that it can take a good bit of weight. I am nearly 90kg and my crew is north of 75kg on a good day so as long as you have a big rig, you should be fine. With a strong wind we have that bit of extra leverage but I am sure we are going to suffer a bit in light winds when it comes to racing. I am by no means the expert as I am very new to the class but from the little experience I have so far, they are fantastic fun.
2688- Atum Bom

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:34:26 PM »
Hi, My wife and I built E-Numbers 2 years ago.  We used the E5 design partly because it had been proven when we committed to the project and a banshee hadn't raced against other cherubs at that stage. Both are quick designs and similar in speed. We bought moulded hull and deck shells but made all the other parts and bonded everything together.  I can reccomend this method because it saves building jigs or a mould yourself.  The shells are about 1/2 the weight of the boat so there is less for you to overbuild if you are tempted to.

I don't think many cherubs have been sailed recently in the waves you are talking about.  Launching can be difficult in waves as with any boat but the cherub has little momentum and in any situation tends to drift sideways or backwards more than other boats before it sails forwards. You may find it very difficult to launch from a lee shore in waves especially if the beach is steep.

The boats are fun to sail and even the modern design home built boats are strong and robust.

I would reccommend making your first trips in flatter or more sheltered waters if possible to allow you to get used to the boat.

António

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 03:55:09 PM »
Thank you Phil and Thorney for your comments and encouraging words.

About the building process, if I decided for a go, it will be for the next winter (hopefully), and first I need to convince my wife to park the car in the street during the process and my kids to help (humm. . . more difficult).
My intention is to have a second toy and to try to encourage the kids to go sailing (they get bored in the slow First 210), but mainly because i like to build, get the hands on the job.

For the launching we have place at the marina and some other protected areas, but we love to go sailing for the open sea (the problem is if we capsize).

By the way, do you know that ATUM BOM means "GOOD TUNA FISH"? The name cames from a Portuguese Tin Can of Tuna.  Thats my favourite brand, but it misses one word, it should be Atum Bom Petisco or "Good Snack" Tuna. 

Cheers

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:21:30 PM »
Yes - Lucy and I lived in Olhao in the Algarve for a period and survived on 'bimbo' bread and 'Atum Bom' canned tuna fish. That is the reason the boat is called 'Atum Bom'.

There was an old cherub in Lisboa. I think it has moved back to the UK though now.

António

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:15:27 PM »
 ;D
Hi
That´s a good friend for any sailor (or for any bad cook)!!!
Did you sail it in Algarve? Excelent sailing conditions down there!
cheers

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 12:34:38 PM »

I don't think many cherubs have been sailed recently in the waves you are talking about. 

Ben and myself sailed Loco Perro at Carnac in some big wave stuff.  Almost jumped clear over Lucy and Will's boat if I recall it right!  ;D

Antonio, I've sent you a response via the Message service.

António

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 01:04:11 AM »
Thank you Daryl,

I have plenty of material to study the subject.
I will follow this forum and I will be back to you if some issue arises.
Best regards.

António

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 03:32:24 PM »
To Will Lee and Thorney Ben attention.

Sorry I can´t isert the picture, but follow the links.

After you cherised Atum Bom, the company that produces the Tuna cans included in their image the cherub simbol.  You can see a nice red heart in their label.  Thats a recognition of the class.   :D

In the advertising movie, if you don´t understand Portuguese you will miss half the fun, but you can imagine what they are saying.

hxxp: www. cofaco. pt/brands. html
hxxp: www. youtube. com/watch?v=f_zUz6jiG3s&feature=player_detailpage

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 08:18:06 AM »
Wow!

i wonder how many other skiff sailors eat a high tuna diet because of that endorsement?

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 10:26:02 AM »
When we're on the skiff we always take a giant tupperware full of pasta, tuna and sweetcorn and 3 forks! After a long day on the water we can all dive in and it gives us the carb/protein hit we need!

Offline Hayley_Trim

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 11:19:39 AM »
Stu are you pitching for the advertising? Think we might have found KKT a sponsor...
Does it have healing properties too?